My First Planted Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After much deliberation, I have finally decided on my next tank. I have a 20H tank that my tropical community recently vacated for a 55G.

I am doing my first planted tank! :dance: It's a 20 gallon high, which will be moderately planted with driftwood. Aqua Clear 30 filter and added air stone. I would like to keep it as low-tech as possible, as this is my first attempt at plants.

I am currently using the lid that came with the tank, which had 2 incandescent bulbs, which I swapped for 2 10w flourescents. Will this light be sufficient to grow low-light plants? I am also considering upgraded lights, what do you think of this? Amazon.com: Marineland ML Double Bright LED Light, 24-Inch to 36-Inch: Pet Supplies

Here are the plants I am thinking of using:
Cabomba or Hornwort
Wisteria
Java Fern & Java Moss
Bacopa Australis
Anubis Barteri
Crypt
and Dwarf Hairgrass or Micro Sword

Fish: 5 or 6 Blue Longfin Danios

Substrate: I want to use pfs, as I love the look of it, and I do plan on adding some loaches to the tank eventually. I was also considering eco-complete, could I mix the two,or layer the pfs over eco-complete?

I jumped the gun a little and bought my first plant last night, I think it is an anubias barteri, and is currently in my 5 gal QT tank w/ led lighting. I am going to attach it to the driftwood (which is currently soaking), so I did not plant it in the gravel, I just loosly packed it in the little cup it came in.

Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated :D:D:D

Attachments

• fish 6.jpg
    fish 6.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 58
Yes

Low light plants will be fine with that setup. Make sure to at least dose liquid fertilizer. Planted tanks are really worth it. Good luck!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom