My first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I thought I'd share my tank with everyone, it's not just my first planted tank - it's my first tank. It's lowtech, 6 months old. The whole plant thing is very difficult if you're new to it, starting with the whole latin name thing, which I can never remember, nor pronounce. I realised these plants don't have common names because they're not, umm, common. I'm not trying to do a fancy aquascape, I'm just trying to figure out which plants I like and which I'm able to grow. Can anyone recommend any plants, or any tricks a newbie like me might be missing?

2013-09-29 11.13.54.jpg

This is using the stem plants from the LFS, before I knew anything about plants. I eventually replaced all of these.
2013-10-26 17.03.19.jpg

2013-11-24 16.56.47.jpg

2013-11-24 18.55.42.jpg

Here's the tank today, bit crowded, as I've been trying out allsorts of plants and I can't bear to bin a healthy plant. I'll have to start a new tank...

2014-02-15 17.45.41.jpg

It looks good! I really like that driftwood I've been looking for a piece like it but never found one :( I'm pretty new to the planted thing too and there's probably a ton I'm not doing exactly right but everything's growing really well. All I do is dose Flourish Excel every morning, lights on for 10 hours, and then trimming away dying leaves if they show up.

I've found the LFS take the best bits of driftwood and put them in their own tanks. I'm just cheeky and get them to fish them out for me!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom