my first pulsing xenia :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshuawilliamson21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a little frag of pulsing xenia about 3 hours ago it seems to be doing fine but the high flow seems to be hurting it can someone please tell me what they eat and what the flow should be but it is awsome how they grab at the water :)

joshuawilliamson21 said:
Got a little frag of pulsing xenia about 3 hours ago it seems to be doing fine but the high flow seems to be hurting it can someone please tell me what they eat and what the flow should be but it is awsome how they grab at the water :)

Med flow.. need just ur water changes... you could try coral fenzy if you feel the need...

Well if the flow seems to be hurting it I would move it. I am by no means a reefer but don't let it get hurt.

And not to be rude because I've been flaged a few times however the best thing u can do for youself and your tank is to never buy on impulse .. have them hold it go home and look it up if need be.

joshuawilliamson21 said:

Sorry to keep adding but I always stick my new frags regardless of flow requirements and lighting start at bottom of tank and work it up..

No offense takin your right I've been wanting them for a while but I kept hearing they were advanced aquariust species and I've had this tank for 2 years so I decided to give it a shot thanks for all the info

joshuawilliamson21 said:
No offense takin your right I've been wanting them for a while but I kept hearing they were advanced aquariust species and I've had this tank for 2 years so I decided to give it a shot thanks for all the info

Advanced I wouldn't say so infact id say they make great starters provided ur nitrates are low. Just mhe and opinion.

They grow like weeds for some, but melt for others. Mine won't grow in my reef, but grow in my algae scrubber/refugium, all on the same sump system. Go figure. Good luck.

Gregcoyote said:
They grow like weeds for some, but melt for others. Mine won't grow in my reef, but grow in my algae scrubber/refugium, all on the same sump system. Go figure. Good luck.

Haha ur so backwards.. can u post pics of that scrubber... how about a dyi thread...

Well,like said before they can grow like weeds, i have two tanks to prove it.
I personally won't put it in any of my tanks again. My third tank doesn't have any.

They seem to stop pumping sometimes in a tank. Not sure if there is a fix to get them going again, but even not pumping, they can spread fast.

Depending on type, Xenia usually likes low to med flow. Xenia also prefers no carbon. In my experience, the growth and pulsing slows in tanks that run lots of carbon. Not sure if the Xenia doesn't like carbon, or the carbon removes something Xenia likes. Xenia has been one of the easiest corals to grow for me. Just a pain because it's hard to get rid of eventually.

Depending on type, Xenia usually likes low to med flow. Xenia also prefers no carbon. In my experience, the growth and pulsing slows in tanks that run lots of carbon. Not sure if the Xenia doesn't like carbon, or the carbon removes something Xenia likes. Xenia has been one of the easiest corals to grow for me. Just a pain because it's hard to get rid of eventually.

Interesting about the carbon I'd never heard of that before. I might have to put some in and see if that slows their growth or not. I'm always chopping out Xenia because it grows so quickly.

Congrats on your purchase. I love the way it looks in the tank. I would classify myself as a novice and mine is growing great. My dsb kicked in so nitrates have gone away, but it was doing okay when I had nitrates. It is starting to spread now that they are not registering on my test kit.

You can use your nail or something else and scrape the bottom off the rock if they spread where you don't want. I originally was going to have them growing up the glass, but I like the look of them so much I put them right in the middle of the tank! Good Luck.

It is a lot easier said than done, removing the Xenia. If they grow on the glass, that actually is super easy since they remove cleanly from there. You really have to scrap the Xenia, and maybe a little of the rock off to get it to stop from growing back once it is there.

nxb161 said:
It is a lot easier said than done, removing the Xenia. If they grow on the glass, that actually is super easy since they remove cleanly from there. You really have to scrap the Xenia, and maybe a little of the rock off to get it to stop from growing back once it is there.

I use long metal tweezers, they work great at getting under it into the rock. Finger nail on glass or credit card. Yeah, if you leave any it grows back right?

I use long metal tweezers, they work great at getting under it into the rock. Finger nail on glass or credit card. Yeah, if you leave any it grows back right?

oh yeah, and quickly

Back
Top Bottom