My first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I wound up getting a baby porcupine puffer instead of a lionfish. I just didn't think the lionfish would be active enough for my me. Think I'll call him porc chop.

Just have him be the only fish in there. 100+ gals recommended but I'm sure 75g is fine solo. A neat fish he is :p

Yea thats all that's going in there. Probably will add a sump when he gets bigger but he should be real happy in there

Is that big piece of rock leaning against the glass? Never a good idea because all it takes is a bit of force in the right place to crack your tank. I'd move it if it seems a bit iffy to you.

1000’s of people lean rock against the glass of the back wall. Personally I have never heard of rock breaking the glass by leaning. However, falling rock can.

With your tank and the amount of rock, I think it would look better just stacked. Seems strange to have just one rock leaning on the glass.

Looks like it's leaning on the side glass. And I mean if he accidently bumped the rock it could be a problem. But yea, I agree that he should just stack them all together along the back or something.

It just seems that I see alot of tanks with a stack in the back. It just seems boring to me. That's the right front side of the tank if you look at the first pic. I buried a part of the rock so it's stable I don't think it should be an issue but thanks for the warning

Have you considered making two stacks in the middle of the tank, so that it looks like two mountains? I think it would be cool to watch him swim around them hunting. I would also pick up some ghost shrimp for him to hunt. They will acclimate fine to saltwater and cost about 0.20 each. Are you going to put any other fish in the tank. I think you should get a snowflake or chain link eel. That would be a very fun tank to watch.

I haven't though of that yet it might look ok. Or what I was thinking of is making a stack in the right back corner and putting smaller rocks going out from there so it will be big rock in the corner and big to small rocks to the opposite corner like he is swimming up to a mountain.it's just going to be the puffer since it's a 75 gallon

Hondatek said:
I haven't though of that yet it might look ok. Or what I was thinking of is making a stack in the right back corner and putting smaller rocks going out from there so it will be big rock in the corner and big to small rocks to the opposite corner like he is swimming up to a mountain.it's just going to be the puffer since it's a 75 gallon

Leaning your rocks against the glass will also make it harder to clean that area of algea,...( which will come)... Also I'd try to start out really slow with any stocking you may want to do,...your tank's chemistry will start doing some strange things for awhile before it starts to settle Down no matter what you think or do ( months).., enjoy your tank but proceed very very slowly ,.... Most folks would probably have aprox # 100 lbs of live rock in a 75 gal tank

Last edited:
Yea I get that. I'm not new to fish just saltwater. But I didn't think about algae cleaning.it's a one fish tank and what I do with my fw tanks is after the cycle add fish the 5 gallon pwc daily for a week to keep levels ok . That method has worked really great for me . But I can always add live rock right?

I'd get everything done ( adding live rocks,sump, etc) up front and get that tank cycling only once,..adding a little rock here and there would probably cause some spikes that would only delay the cycling procedure,and you'll never get anywhere ,.... A good rule of thumb on saltwater tanks is to move slow,..nothing comes fast in saltwater,....
Fresh water is in a lot of ways is kinda similar but for the most part ( IMO) saltwater is so much more intense and complicated ,.... Just because your tank may be a week or two old doesn't necessarily mean that you should go out and buy that " dream fish" right away ,.. get your system cranking on all cylinders first,..

Back
Top Bottom