My first (sparsely) planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjb_1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm new to the Aquarium game and the forum (have been lurking), but have a 20g long tank now set up and cycling. I have gone for some plants, but only a few. I am waiting on some Java Fern to attach to the two pieces of drift/bogwood, hopefully to hide the filter a little.

The tank measures 30x15x12 inches, but I do not have a heater (at this stage) so it is currently coldwater (varying between 18-21 degrees).

I have not decided on fish yet, I am wondering if I will be OK with a school of Danios or White Cloud Minnows in these temps?

Equipment List

• Clearseal 30x15x12 tank
  • Eheim Aquaball 130
  • (Plus another small internal filter not yet fitted that I may use, unbranded)
  • Pea Gravel substrate with a little Tetra Plant Complete underneath (as I wasn't sure on plants, but seem to have gone for things that will root in just gravel)
Plants

• Elodea Densa (Possibly Egeria Densa?)
  • Twisted Vallis (which is growing in the light I have)
  • Java Fern (on the way)

The light I have isn't great, so I am realistic in knowing I will only be able to have low light plants at this stage. The tank does get some indirect natural light from two windows, however.

Please have a look at my pics (not the best quality and it does look better in person) and see what you all think. One after planting and the other with the tank full.

Be kind! :)

Phil

Attachments

• 2012-09-26 19.06.22.jpg
    2012-09-26 19.06.22.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2012-09-26 21.11.35.jpg
    2012-09-26 21.11.35.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 160
Yes, white clouds are perfect for a cold water tank! I inherited 9 longfinned ones from a friend and never knew how pretty they actually were. Plus the males display alot in the planted tank they are in which really shows the red/yellow fins off. I don't know about danios but I know cherry barbs can be kept in such a tank. Hillstream loaches also like cold water tanks.

The tank looks good but if you could add a couple crypts to add a different plant shape it would give the tank a little added dimention.

Thanks Rivercats.

I think White Cloud Minnows will be a possibility then, cool.

I will be adding a few more plants, but I do need really low light ones.

I will keep researching.

Thanks,

Phil

Any recommendations then for Crypts and low light (that does include some indirect natural light)?

Ideally something that will stay down, I've had enough trouble with the Elodea! lol

Crypts do fine in low light. I love Crypt Parva for the foreground, it only gets about 2 inches tall. Another favorite of mine is Crypt Lutea, it's a very different looking crypt from the Wendtii's. Then you have the Crypt Wendtii's, green, red, bronze. The above listed are basically the Crypts I use.

Thank you Rivercats, I will have a look for some of the Crypts you have suggested.

The only other question I suppose I have is water temperature? I had a quick look into Cryptocoryne Parva and several sites appear to be suggeting 22-28 degrees? I really like the look of that for the foreground too.

I really appreciate the help, it isn't easy just starting out :thanks:

That temp is alittle under 72F (I'm in the US). The couple tanks I don't have heaters on my water temp stays around 72-73 degrees inside the house. Does your house get really cold in the winter where the water temp would drop below say 70F (21.1C)? I have all the crypts listed in fancy goldfish tanks w/o heaters and they all do fine. They grow really slow but I have no trouble with them in the cooler tanks. You could try just one and see how it does, then if it does fine you can add more. They are such cool little plants I'd try, they are worth trying IMO.

Well we are not even in October and the water temp gets down to around 20c (68f). It doesn't get really cold in the house per se, but the room where the tank is only has a small radiator, and the tank is around the corner from that.

I think I will try one and see how it goes, as I haven't decided on fish yet I can always get a heater to keep it around 21-22c (70f). I was just hoping to avoid a heater and the cost, although small.

So the Java Fern came yesterday in really good health (from 'thelasttradingpost' - eBay). I got them attached in some of the spaces in the drift/bogwood, still in place this morning :)

Probably still not looking great compared to others on here, but I am happy with it so far.

I have a couple of small rocks to add, have tested to ensure they are safe, not sure where to put them though :-s

Attachments

• 2012-09-27 18.56.45-1.jpg
    2012-09-27 18.56.45-1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 80
Can you slide the tall piece of DW over a few inches towards the center.... but not right in the center? Then the same with the other smaller piece of DW. Then if I'm seeing the pic right you have a pretty good size bunch of stem plants by the big DW, you need to take them apart, trim about a 1/2 inch off the bottom and plant each stem seperate in your substrate, the same with what appears to be a smaller bunch on the far left. You need to leave about a fingers space between each stem as you plant them. Plus you are wanting to hide the filter, that is the perfect area to actually plant stem plants as stem plants tend to grow up faster and as they grow you can prune a few inches off the tops of them and replant the tops making your group of them alot bigger. Actually looking at the pic can you switch sides on the DW so the big on is on the left leaning towards the smaller one.
Also are those bunches of Val in the back? If so take them out of their bundle and plant them individually but alittle closer together than the other stem plants. Planting all your stem plants will not only be much better for growth but it will also fill you tank out much fuller. Then lastly try placing your rocks. Moving the DW is just an idea but do replant your bunch plants.

Thanks Rivercats.

So I took your advice and separated the Vals. I think that does look better.

Ive separated most of the other stems and replanted by the filter, moving the small piece of DW with Java Fern to the right a little.

I can't really move the piece on the right, its a straight piece (well as straight as pieces of driftwood go) so the only way I can have it elevated like I want to create a little arch behind is to lean it into that corner.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

P.s. Those stem plants are a b*tch to get stay down!

A couple more to hopefully show some parts a little clearer.

Attachments

• 2012-09-28 21.50.36-1.jpg
    2012-09-28 21.50.36-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2012-09-28 21.50.10-1.jpg
    2012-09-28 21.50.10-1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, to say the least stem plants can be a challange to get to stay down in the beginning! Couldn't tell from the pic that the big piece was leaning against the tank side. The empty middle is what is throwing me off. Maybe you can use your rock and get a couple Crypts and do something in the middle so it looks more filled in. Also whatever the stem plant is you have by the big DW... as it grows and you can clip and replant pieces I'd use them to thicken up the stand alittle further out to the side and some kind of to the back, like a C shape to make the log look like its coming out through the plants. The Vals look much better and fuller. Once established they will send out runners with new plants so you'll have lots more of them to work with. What size tank is that, I just can't tell from the pic's.

Now I can see how the big piece is leaning! Those are pretty good looking java ferns too!

Yeah, to say the least stem plants can be a challange to get to stay down in the beginning! Couldn't tell from the pic that the big piece was leaning against the tank side. The empty middle is what is throwing me off. Maybe you can use your rock and get a couple Crypts and do something in the middle so it looks more filled in. Also whatever the stem plant is you have by the big DW... as it grows and you can clip and replant pieces I'd use them to thicken up the stand alittle further out to the side and some kind of to the back, like a C shape to make the log look like its coming out through the plants. The Vals look much better and fuller. Once established they will send out runners with new plants so you'll have lots more of them to work with. What size tank is that, I just can't tell from the pic's.

Any ideas for the middle? I know what you mean about it appearing rather empty! I would really like to make the centre a little better (that's a Marimo Moss ball in the centre by the way, I also have another in a jar waiting to go in).

The tank is 30 wide x 15 high x 12 deep, 23 US Gallons I believe. Yeah the wood needs to lean against the side otherwise it would have to be flat on the bottom

I agree on the Java Fern, it is the healthiest example I have seen in person, the place I got it from on eBay has done me proud. It cost a couple of £'s more than others I have seen, but the quality is fantastic, I'm just hoping it doesn't go downhill in my tank!

++ The background is a black garbage bag! I'm cheap I know :)

You missed this part in my last book.... second sentence.

Maybe you can use your rock and get a couple Crypts and do something in the middle so it looks more filled in. Either Crypt Wendtii or Crypt Lutea would look good.

You missed this part in my last book.... second sentence.

Maybe you can use your rock and get a couple Crypts and do something in the middle so it looks more filled in. Either Crypt Wendtii or Crypt Lutea would look good.

Sorry, me and my poor reading skills.

I will try to get hold of some Crypt Wendtii to go along with the rocks I have, I might need to get some different ones as they are only small.

If I fill the middle too much will I have an issue with reducing the 'swimming space' for my fish (when I get some!)?

Back
Top Bottom