My First Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey im new to this thread and i just started my first offical tank its a 36 gallon bow front brackish tank,my salinity is 1.004 and right now i have a small red tail catfish,a small tiger shovelnose catfish, and a small-medium tricolor shark...anyways i was just wondering what else i could add fish wise and any other advice you guys are willing to give...thanks:)

sorry for posting twice but they guy at my fish store said i could feed all three guppies and i wanna do that to watch my cats attack lol,but i figured it would be cheap and more convenient to breed my own. i have a spare 10 gallon i could use if thats big enough,,,,thanks again!

I'm not very familiar with your cats, but make sure guppies are the natural diet for your cats. If guppies are something they should only eat every once in a while, then I don't think it would be wise to do it.

btw, congrats on your first tank.

i have them on pellets right now but he said i could feed them guppies minnows and somthing else but i forgot,but anyways i believe they are because they get pretty big and i dont think pellets would satisfy them and they are also predators so i figured it would make sense.......completely irrelevant but i turned off the light for the night and they come out right away its so amazing sorry but im really excited lol...and thank you

I just did a very brief google on your cats. I had no idea that they would grow so big so fast. I hope 1.5in guppies will be enough for them once they reach 1ft long in 1 year or 2.

Do more research on how to feed the catfish.

yea i know i realized that after the guy sold them to me,so i called and he said when it gets to big i can bring it back and he will give me half of its worth so i guess i will do that

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? If you listened to the pet store and set up the tank, let it "run" for a few days and then added all your fish you're not cycled and your fish are going to be hitting ammonia poisoning soon if not already. Do you have your own liquid test kit like API Master to test your water? This guide can help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! Be prepared to do a lot of water changes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom