My fish are hiding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When the lights are on in my tank my fish just hide out under rocks and plants. Why are they doing this? My nitrate levels are a little high but my ammonia and ph are level. When I turn the light off they seem to move around more. What's going on?

Listing the fish species might me helpful, some species just do that. If you let us know what kind we might be able to help a bit more

When the lights are on in my tank my fish just hide out under rocks and plants. Why are they doing this? My nitrate levels are a little high but my ammonia and ph are level. When I turn the light off they seem to move around more. What's going on?

Hi! Some more info would definitely be helpful.

What fish are in the tank? What size is the tank? Lots of decor? What are the exact water parameters of the tank (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? How long have you had the fish?

As asked what species of fish are doing this? What size tank and lighting type do you have? Many fish do not like bright light, such as many types of tetra's. You can make them feel more secure and give them some shade by adding some floating plants.

I have a 20 gallon tank, 10 barbs, 3 platys, a molly, an upside down cat, and 4 ottocats my ammonia is at 0 so is my nitrates are at around 30 I don't know about my nitrites

And yes I have some dwarf sag, one amazon, some java moss, and a few crypts. I also have a slate they go under often and a cave structure

Depending on the species of the barb some don't like a lot of light. My 15 cherry barbs along with my rummynose and cardinal tetras all stay low and in the plants during the day until the low evening lighting kicks on and the high metal halide lights go off. Try floating plants as I suggested as this often can help a lot.

Depending on the species of the barb some don't like a lot of light. My 15 cherry barbs along with my rummynose and cardinal tetras all stay low and in the plants during the day until the low evening lighting kicks on and the high metal halide lights go off. Try floating plants as I suggested as this often can help a lot.
I have 3 albino 3 tiger and 4 green. I just bought some hornwort so hopefully it helps some. Thank you!

Have they always done this, or is it something new?
It's something new which is why I'm concerned. They're normally pretty active during the day now they all just hide in the plants and structure

That does sound odd, if it's something new. Does doing a water change to bring down nitrates help at all? Have you checked that the temperature is normal?

Sometimes my lights make a high-pitched whining noise, almost beyond human hearing, when the tube isn't plugged firmly into its little connections. Maybe test with another light source, to see if it's the light they are reacting to? (Very unlikely, but you never know?)

That does sound odd, if it's something new. Does doing a water change to bring down nitrates help at all? Have you checked that the temperature is normal? Sometimes my lights make a high-pitched whining noise, almost beyond human hearing, when the tube isn't plugged firmly into its little connections. Maybe test with another light source, to see if it's the light they are reacting to? (Very unlikely, but you never know?)
My nitrate was very high, at like 40. Then I did a water change but it only went down to about 30 . I did one this morning and am waiting for everything settle so I can test it again. But each change had no affect on their behavior. Even my platys which are normally closer to the top of the tank are staying low. I haven't checked the temperature. You think it might be too cold or something?

Can we get a picture? Perhaps the layout is very pleasing to them?

I would think if it was a temperature problem they would be like that all the time, not just with the lights on, but it's worth checking.

Let's hope they respond to the water changes.

I did another water change and they're actually moving some! I think it was just nitrate shock or something. I'm still at around 30ppms but it came down from 40ppms and they can feel it hah . I'm gonna do another water change tomorrow and get a tank thermometer.

And here's my tank!

Attachments

• image-2684497595.jpg
    image-2684497595.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 63
You don't know the water temp? Rams are very sensitive fish that need warmer temps, low nitrates, and don't do well in unmature tanks.
No I don't know the temp I'm going to get a thermometer tommorrow. And I don't have any Rams.

Back
Top Bottom