my fish chases my other fish round the tank..should i separate them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anahbarbiie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
right.. last time i started a thread it was because i wasnt sure what to do with my fish becuase they were ill with white spot and fin rot... well now out of the four one has died.. so now im left with three.. out of these three one seems perfectly fine.. but the other two are still not right.. my blue oranda looks like he has fin rot which i have started to treat.. and since then he's starting to look better.. but my other fish the calico fantail seems to have gotten worse since the outbreak of white spot(which has already killed one of my fish.) so now my blue oranda keeps chasing my calico fantail around the tank nibbling at its belly and sides..any idead whats going on and what i should do?

What size tank do you have the 3 goldies in? Is you tank fully cycled and what are the water parameters? Lastly, what kind of filtration (spec info helps here) do you have?

IMO/E the tank should be at least 40g so they have room to move and since they're pooping machines the water volume helps dissipate the ammo from their waste. If they're in a smallish tank, chances are the stronger fish in trying to create more room for himself by going after the weaker one. Basically, nature and survival of the fittest is what you could be seeing in real time.

The white spots sound like ick to me. I found the best cure for ick on goldies is using a product called Quick Cure. Follow the directions, only do 25-50% PWC each day before dosing meds and keep medicating for 10 days. It's worked for me on the 2 occasions I've had to deal with ick.

Back
Top Bottom