my fish had a heart attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure how to explain it, I was just checking out mom's 55 gallon and one of the giant danios just went crazy. he hit the top of the water, spun around wildly a couple of times, then just sunk to the bottom!! so I scooped him up in the net and just watched him. he came around on his own and I have him in a quarantine tank.

He's swimming okay, and I cant see any injuries on him, other than a wierd split in his tail. this tank is considered semi-aggresive so i'm not surprised by that. I just want to know what might have happened to him??

lol i wouldnt be surprised, but seriously I'm not sure what to make of it. the other giant danio is swimming slower, i guess he misses his buddy. both of them seem to be breathing fast tho

pcdebb said:
lol i wouldnt be surprised, but seriously I'm not sure what to make of it. the other giant danio is swimming slower, i guess he misses his buddy. both of them seem to be breathing fast tho

Breathing fast, now we are on to something lol with the joking put to the side at least for the time being. Have you tested the water? When was the last water change? What type of filters are being used? If using a canister filter I would aim the output tubes up to make more surface movement and add a bubbler to help with that too. If using a hob filter I'd lower the water level a few inches to make more of a splash and surface movement to see if that helps.

It's due for a water change, overdue actually. There is good aeration in this tank, I have a bubble stick in the gravel for some eye candy and a HOB with a double filter. One issue this tank has suffered recently is some tough algae, dark green and hard to clean off. I was sure the guy was a goner but mom sys he's doing just fine in the qt.

The funny thing now is she is just tickled about a "hospital" tank and wants to name it, like some sort of "aquatic general hospital" lol

Back
Top Bottom