My fish had weird dead skin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0xxKyleexx0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My black moor fish has this weird dead skin looking type thing coming out if his gills. Earlier today i got a brand new filter and the water turned black. The guy said it was normal, just chemicals interacting. My fish we're a bit scared, but seem okay now. I need help ASAP. I have a 40 gallon tank for my two goldfish. Here are pictures ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410829736.215716.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410829815.231610.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might be shedding his slime coat but I'm not sure.

If they are stressed dose some stresszyme and it should help. What are your parameters?

Lastly, did you rinse the filter?

I cant test the parameters right now since i don't have a test kit. The last time i checked it a few days ago everything was fine except it was a little hard. I'm pretty sure i washed the filter before i put it in. If i didnt, what could happen?

The filter needs to be soaked in the removed water after getting the black out from the carbon. Did you also change the filter bag? That is where all the beneficial bacteria is - that is why you should only soak it in removed water.

Put something in to protect the slime coat and it is worth investing in a liquid test kit. That way you can have the necessary info. TO get the best advice from people.

Update: this morning my fish is worse, he has white spots all over him. Both of my fish are struggling to breathe. I'm bringing my fish to petco to let then be looked at

When I went to the pet store a few days ago, the lady gave me a tap water de-chlorinator that didnt have stress coat. They we're losing their slime coat since i shocked the water. I put in some stress coat and ph up since ph was low. This morning they both seem a lot better and are finally eating:)

Back
Top Bottom