My fist attempt at a planted RCS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeachBum2012

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning on cleaning up an old 15 gallon tank to use as a planted RCS tank. This will be my first attempt at either a planted or a shrimp tank. I want to go with a lightly planted low light tank.

I'm still in the planning stages and trying to figure out just what I need to get started. So far this is where I am...

I have the tank and a heater.

LOL

Ok, I'm planning on going with a black substrate. Possibly something along the lines of Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand to get me started. I think it will look good against the plants and the little red shrimp running around.

Next though is I have some driftwood and a few pieces of slate that will go in. I figure I'll attach to some plastic egg crate under the substrate.

I'm planning on going with an AquaClear filter without the carbon at the advice of many of the articles that I've read here. Not quite sure how to set it up in this manner but I see there is quite a bit of info available on how to do so.

I've ordered a master test kit and a copper test kit. I've read that the shrimp do not tolerate copper in the water at all. Am I missing anything that I should be testing for?

As far as plants I want to start with something easy. Maybe Java moss and Java fern. Are there any others that I should look into?

Ok folks, what am I missing here. I have the basic idea down and have done quite a bit of reading but I always miss something. Any advice would be very welcome. I hope to hear from mgamer20o0 as it seems that he has quite a bit of experience and is local to me. Comments and advice is welcome from anyone who has it though. Thanks,

Brian

one thing you are forgetting is the lighting. if you want plants to grow you will want a daylight spectrum bulb.

Told ya I'd forget something. I want to stick to low/med light so I don't have to deal with CO2 injection. Any recommendations on a good lighting setup to allow me to grow low/med light plants?

I'm planning on going with an AquaClear filter without the carbon at the advice of many of the articles that I've read here. Not quite sure how to set it up in this manner but I see there is quite a bit of info available on how to do so.
dont forget to put a sponge over the intake. keeps shrimp out of the filter.

As far as plants I want to start with something easy. Maybe Java moss and Java fern. Are there any others that I should look into?
anubias and crypts are the others.

I hope to hear from mgamer20o0 as it seems that he has quite a bit of experience and is local to me
thanks. very local.

I would stick with 30 watts or less if you want to stay low tech. Might be hard with a 15g. What are the dimensions of yours?

And I agree with the Anubias and Crypts that mg suggested. :)

I have a low tech shrimp tank (20g long) with Anubias, Crypts, Java fern, some Flame moss, and some Marsilea minuta...plus a couple stem plants that I'm trying out in there.

Good luck with yours!

I would stick with 30 watts or less if you want to stay low tech. Might be hard with a 15g. What are the dimensions of yours?

And I agree with the Anubias and Crypts that mg suggested. :)

I have a low tech shrimp tank (20g long) with Anubias, Crypts, Java fern, some Flame moss, and some Marsilea minuta...plus a couple stem plants that I'm trying out in there.

Good luck with yours!

It's 24x13x13. I think it's actually like 17 gallons or something. Do you know if here is a decent light setup on the market that'll put me in that range or is it DIY time? Thanks for the help.

dont forget to put a sponge over the intake. keeps shrimp out of the filter.

anubias and crypts are the others.

thanks. very local.

Good call on the sponge. I'd read that a clean panty hose works as well. Thanks for the help. Anything else I'm missing? Hope to get my filter in today and start it running on my other tank to get the cycle started.

what size aquaclear do you have? i can get your tank cycled right away.

I was looking at picking up either the 20 or the 30 tomorrow. I've read both that I would want the stronger filter and that I don't want to over filter a planted shrimp tank. I'm not quite sure which is the right way to go yet. Any thoughts on that?

Ok, I'm getting closer. I have the tank and glass cover, a heater, a nice piece of driftwood that has been soaking for about two weeks, and an AC20 filter. The black sand and a few other details should arrive in the mail in a couple of days.

What I really need is a light. I'm having trouble finding a light set up that will fit a 24 inch tank and is in the 30w range. They seem to go from like 16 and then jump to 65. Anyone have any ideas what I can do here? Maybe a link to something I could use?

Thanks again to everyone that has given their input. I'm excited to get this tank going.

home depot / lowes should have it.

i have the 30 inch fixture. i have one daylight and one colormax.

Right on. I believe that it comes with one colormax and one 6500K. How do you like the fixture? I just may order one tonight.

So what is the egg crate actually called. Couldn't find it on the net at home depot or lowes. May just have to go down there.

Thanks again for your help. Its been great thus far.

its ok for low light set up. the colormax makes the color pops out but just doesnt seem as bright as the 55w cf i was using.

just have to go into home depot.

Ok, here is where I am today...

I have the tank and glass covers all cleaned up. I have my new Aquaclear 20 and egg crate ready to go. The black Tahitian Moon Sand, new heater, light fixture and timer should all be here by the end of the week. My driftwood is good to go and I've got a few pieces of slate to pick up still. All I have left to do is wait for everything to get here and I can finally get started.

My next question is about planting and cycling. mcgamer said he'd help me out with the cycling (which is awesome!) but my question has to do with planting. Do I plant a cycled tank or do I plant right away? I know I won't be adding shrimp (or fish if I decide to have a couple) until after cycle but I'm not quite sure on the plants. Any help would be great. Thanks

Brian

Back
Top Bottom