My goldfish suddenly seems like he's dying?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RenardTheFox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon aquarium. In it, I have 2 large gold fish (Liz and Levi), a rubber lip plecosomus (Lumpy), and two Vanilla Lobsters (Dingo and Wallaby). All animals have been living together for 2 months, but I've had the goldfish for 3. In the tank are three kinds of vegetation, a piece of Mopani wood, a rock, and a hollow turtle hide out thing. Medium substrate made of clay. Everyone was happy and healthy until my mom's fish (aHole) came along.
My mom's Tiger Barb was too aggressive, and without telling me put it on MY tank. Despite the Massive size difference, aHole was CONSTANTLY chasing Liz and Levi. A few hours went by after my noticing, and I'd had it. AHole was put in a separate place.

Since then, Levi is acting weird and its very concerning. It's like he's falling asleep, utterly relaxes every muscle, and suddenly his Eyes BULDGE out, EVERY fin becomes elongated, and his mouth opens every bit it possibly can. It lasts about two beats worth, and he calms again. Sometimes he thrashes his head around, and/or he'll shudder his whole body.
He ate when I fed them about 30 minutes ago. He was completely normal this morning before aHole came in. I just returned from Petsmart, and my water is perfect, but I don't have the exact numbers. My water temp is at 78°F.

The aquarium is 3 months old and sold as a kit. It has some kind of Whisper filter by TopFin.
The goldfish eat floating flakes and sinking granules, the plecosomus has algae crisps, and the Lobsters will either split a dead minnow, or blood worms. The goldfish have never been witnessed taking food, and i supervise meal times since everyone is kind of aggressive.
The last water change was last night, just 3/29 change. I use a Stress Coat with Aloe which the fish seem to love.

Lastly, here is a photo of my tank. The water isn't nearly as cloudy as the photo makes it seem, it's crystal clear in fact. Lense must be dirty.
The numbers are merely showing the fish off. Levi, the one in trouble, is the all gold fish up there.
I didn't mention the bubble wall, but again nothing has changed in this tank (besides water changes once a week) aside from that Barb coming in and bullying them for most of today.

Attachments

• fish tank.jpg
    fish tank.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 59
It's been 2.5 hours and Levi is asleep in his usual spot next to Liz. He doesn't seem to be jerking, or acting weird, but he is a little lop sided. I have a camera pointed at the tank, so if the worst happens I'll be able to see when and how it goes down.
Times like this, I wish a had a quarantine tank. Even if I did, though, I'd be a little afraid of separating Liz and Levi. I don't know the normal socialization of a Gold Fish, but those two are very close. Just moving them from tank to tank, when I moved Liz first, the two were utterly eratic until Levi was placed in the new tank as well. Just one of the reasons I'm so worried about Levi's health. =(

I've had the thought of gravel. I researched how to remove a pebble if it's stuck.
He's been eating normal. It was only an hour before my first post here that he even started to act strange.

Levi seems better this morning. I could only watch him for a few minutes before I had to leave, but he at least wasn't looking like Gyarados.

Levi, indeed, had a rock stuck in his throat. It was small enough that he didn't choke, more like a grain of rice stuck in your throat. We're keeping a close eye on him.

Any after care advice? Stresses relief+ has already been applied. I dont have a quarantine tank

There isn't really anything else you can do besides to make sure to keep the water as clean as possible and let his immune system do its work to heal him. Good luck!
I hate to be a Debby-Downer, but I am going to give you a heads up that your multi-colored plants are a form of ribbon plant and are not truly aquatic. The all green ones look aquatic though. The ribbon plants will slowly rot underwater. Pet stores often label them as aquatic. I learned this lesson the hard way once upon a time. :) Also, keep an eye on your crayfish. I have seen them cause damage to goldies when housed together.
I hope Levi continues to feel better. Keep us posted. :)

You're right, it is not an aquatic plant. Ive been watching it to see what happens, and so far it has only grown stronger. When and if it begins to rot, I have a replacement.
The aggressive nature of the Lobsters and goldfish is one reason I supervise feedings. Thus far, they've had no problems together.
Thanks so much for your reply, though! I will definitely posts updates .

Levi, indeed, had a rock stuck in his throat. It was small enough that he didn't choke, more like a grain of rice stuck in your throat. We're keeping a close eye on him.

Any after care advice? Stresses relief+ has already been applied. I dont have a quarantine tank

Thanks for the update on this.

So, the day has gone well. Here's a close-up of the big orange beast. He looks so much happier than he did before. <3

Attachments

• KIMG0155.jpg
    KIMG0155.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 42
Grand news. :)

Good point on the crayfish above (be great for POTM contest photo though!). I've had trouble there as well. Will be interested how you get on.

Thanks for the photo :)

I've noticed that no one else has commented on a few things, so I'll go ahead and mention them.

Your goldfish appear to be common or comets. A 29 gallon would be suited to one fancy goldfish if you wanted it to be a goldfish tank. Single tailed goldfish get very large and produce an amazing amount of waste, and are usually best off in ponds or very large tanks so they have room to grow, swim, and poop. Common goldfish can grow to be 12 inches or more, and wouldn't be able to turn around in your tank.
Goldfish are "cold water fish". They can be kept at tropical temperatures but it shortens their life and causes them to grow faster and produce more waste. Rubber lip plecos are tropical fish. Being at lower temperatures puts extra stress on their bodies and makes it easier for them to become ill.
Tiger barbs aren't suited to living with goldfish for a few reasons.
*different temperature requirements (tiger barbs are tropical, goldfish are not)
*should be kept with other aggressive fish
*need to be in groups of 6 at an absolute minimum, but due to how aggressive they are 10+ is best
*goldfish have beautiful tails, and tiger barbs are well known for being nippers

I have no experience with lobsters and will not comment.
I'm sorry if this comes off as criticism, but I'm just trying to share some helpful tips to keep your fishkeeping experience fun and easy and keep your fish healthy and happy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I've noticed that no one else has commented on a few things, so I'll go ahead and mention them.

Your goldfish appear to be common or comets. A 29 gallon would be suited to one fancy goldfish if you wanted it to be a goldfish tank. Single tailed goldfish get very large and produce an amazing amount of waste, and are usually best off in ponds or very large tanks so they have room to grow, swim, and poop. Common goldfish can grow to be 12 inches or more, and wouldn't be able to turn around in your tank.
Goldfish are "cold water fish". They can be kept at tropical temperatures but it shortens their life and causes them to grow faster and produce more waste. Rubber lip plecos are tropical fish. Being at lower temperatures puts extra stress on their bodies and makes it easier for them to become ill.
Tiger barbs aren't suited to living with goldfish for a few reasons.
*different temperature requirements (tiger barbs are tropical, goldfish are not)
*should be kept with other aggressive fish
*need to be in groups of 6 at an absolute minimum, but due to how aggressive they are 10+ is best
*goldfish have beautiful tails, and tiger barbs are well known for being nippers

I have no experience with lobsters and will not comment.
I'm sorry if this comes off as criticism, but I'm just trying to share some helpful tips to keep your fishkeeping experience fun and easy and keep your fish healthy and happy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Omg really?!!? My gold fish started in a 10 gallon, and I could see within a few weeks they were unhappy. Petsmart said a 20 gallon would be good, but I got a 29 just to add some wiggle room..
I keep them at 78 because that's what the sign said was the median temp.
The tiger barb has left my tank. It wasnt mine to begin with.

I do weekly water checks with petsmart and I never saw anything alarming. What size tank do you recommend? My four water babies all seem happy, and don't act stressed out.

Now I feel like I'm neglecting them. :( What should I do?...

Omg really?!!? My gold fish started in a 10 gallon, and I could see within a few weeks they were unhappy. Petsmart said a 20 gallon would be good, but I got a 29 just to add some wiggle room..
I keep them at 78 because that's what the sign said was the median temp.
The tiger barb has left my tank. It wasnt mine to begin with.

I do weekly water checks with petsmart and I never saw anything alarming. What size tank do you recommend? My four water babies all seem happy, and don't act stressed out.

Now I feel like I'm neglecting them. :( What should I do?...
It's not your fault you were given bad information. I'm sure you've just been trying to do right by your fish. For comet/commons I'd try to get them into a pond but if not you're probably looking into a 100 gallons or more. Some people put them in kiddy pool type things because this is a lot cheaper than building a pond or buying a massive tank. I'd leave your lobsters in the 29- they'll have a mansion and perhaps you can add other fish that are more compatible.
I'd just do without a heater for the goldfish. The main issue with them being in warmer water is that it shortens their life span, causes them to create more waste, and grow faster.
Petsmart uses the test strips, which are very inaccurate and are known for giving false readings. If you can, pick up an API master freshwater test kit. This is the most reliable test kit I know of. They're a bit pricey up front, but well worth the money and will last a long time. If you can't afford one, try to find a store nearby that uses liquid tests instead of strips when they tear your water.

Solid Gold has some good info on goldfish care. She has a YouTube and website, I believe. I'm not sure how much of her care info caters to single tailed goldfish, but she has a video where she discusses the kiddy pools she keeps some of her goldfish in. I think it's one of her fish room tour videos. I think one of those little pools would be an easy, inexpensive option for you. Perhaps you could even add some more goldfish.

It's not your fault you were given bad information. I'm sure you've just been trying to do right by your fish. For comet/commons I'd try to get them into a pond but if not you're probably looking into a 100 gallons or more. Some people put them in kiddy pool type things because this is a lot cheaper than building a pond or buying a massive tank. I'd leave your lobsters in the 29- they'll have a mansion and perhaps you can add other fish that are more compatible.
I'd just do without a heater for the goldfish. The main issue with them being in warmer water is that it shortens their life span, causes them to create more waste, and grow faster.
Petsmart uses the test strips, which are very inaccurate and are known for giving false readings. If you can, pick up an API master freshwater test kit. This is the most reliable test kit I know of. They're a bit pricey up front, but well worth the money and will last a long time. If you can't afford one, try to find a store nearby that uses liquid tests instead of strips when they tear your water.

Solid Gold has some good info on goldfish care. She has a YouTube and website, I believe. I'm not sure how much of her care info caters to single tailed goldfish, but she has a video where she discusses the kiddy pools she keeps some of her goldfish in. I think it's one of her fish room tour videos. I think one of those little pools would be an easy, inexpensive option for you. Perhaps you could even add some more goldfish.

A pond isn't possible. A kiddie pool sounds interesting, but I live in Alaska and I worry about the whether. And, now I a 100gallon tank is out of the question. I just haven't got anywhere to put it...

...should I give Liz and Levi away?... I bought them as 2 tiny 14 cent feeder fish, and I love them dearly.. I'd hate to be making them suffer.. [omg now I'm at work trying not to cry!]

A pond isn't possible. A kiddie pool sounds interesting, but I live in Alaska and I worry about the whether. And, now I a 100gallon tank is out of the question. I just haven't got anywhere to put it...

...should I give Liz and Levi away?... I bought them as 2 tiny 14 cent feeder fish, and I love them dearly.. I'd hate to be making them suffer.. [omg now I'm at work trying not to cry!]
If you could upgrade them to at least a 55 or 75 gallon with a powerful filter, that would work for awhile. But eventually they'd need to be given to someone with a large tank or pond. The warmer the water, the faster they're growing.

Back
Top Bottom