My gramma has ick, no qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have 2 clowns and a gramma who has ick
i have mushrooms and snails in my tank
can i run a bare bottom 5.5 gal using water from my main display and treat ick there??

since the clowns have not yet paired and there will be no rock or sand in the tank is a 10 gal better?

zacheyp said:
help please
will the tank cycle

U want to know about the ick or cycling tank? I thought ur tank was cycled? Ur 5.5 won't do a cycle if u use DT water to treat the fish. Are u sure it has ick? Put the fish in the 5.5 for now and start treating. It's small, but u can save them.

my main tank is cycled, i dont have a qt
what is dt water?

would a 10 be better, would a biowheel be enough filtration
what would you use to treat

zacheyp said:
would a 10 be better, would a biowheel be enough filtration
what would you use to treat

Zach, some of this stuff your going to have to research. I've never had to treat for ick, but I will give you two ways u can google. Hypo salinity or copper based treatment. U can also search threads on AA. But to answer your other question, yes, the 10 would be a lot better. Bio wheel is fine. Don't forget the heater. No live rock or sand. Bare bottom will work. Hypo is the cheapest way. Basically lower salinity. I hope I helped and I wish u luck.

thanks, i will qt the fish this weekwnd, also i assume it is safe to add inverts and corals to the dt as they cannit host ich, thanks for all of your help

zacheyp said:
thanks, i will qt the fish this weekwnd, also i assume it is safe to add inverts and corals to the dt as they cannit host ich, thanks for all of your help

Yeah, but I'd slow it down, just incase u gotta hypo the DT. It'll kill them.

Kio707 said:
U want to know about the ick or cycling tank? I thought ur tank was cycled? Ur 5.5 won't do a cycle if u use DT water to treat the fish.

His QT will cycle if he doesn't take media that's established bacteria from his DT. The water itself has nothing to do with it cycling. The only way to be ready for this would have been to run the biowheel on his DT for a while to build up bacteria in it, then transfer it to the QT.

Correct, and all this has been covered 1000 times. If your in desperate need of a quick answer try using the search tab at the top or google it...

His QT will cycle if he doesn't take media that's established bacteria from his DT. The water itself has nothing to do with it cycling. The only way to be ready for this would have been to run the biowheel on his DT for a while to build up bacteria in it, then transfer it to the QT.

If you use a new filter and DT tank water, why would it cycle? Had my 10g QT set up this way and never had a spike or death. Was I just lucky?

The water itself doesn't contain the bacteria. Your LR, LS, and any filter media you have in the tank does. Therefore, just bringing water from the DT to another tank doesn't mean you won't cycle.

Back
Top Bottom