My guppy is swimming funny...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an unidentified guppy illness in my tank! :( So one of my fish died recently, and he had been swimming along the top of the water with his tail drooping down. The day before he died he sat on the bottom of the tank in the gravel, and when another guppy accidentally touched him he swam away like he was spooked. i didn't think much of it, i just thought he was sick and there was nothing I could have done about it. Now another one of my guppies has the same symptoms and he is sitting in the gravel. I want to save him, and hopefully keep this disease from spreading to the other fish. What is it and how do I treat it?
P.S. It's a 10gal with 8 male guppies. I have green algae all over, and 2 live plants.

also both fish wobbled as they swam, like they had a hard time not tipping on to their sides.

It is called Velvet. Its a parasite.

Why do you say that?
How old is the tank? Testing water? Changing water? What's the total stock? Temp? Filtration? All the details please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do your water tests show? Could be ammonia or Nitrites, or something like Ich or another parasite. Its pretty hard to tell without any further information. How long have you had the tank set up? Did you buy the fish at petco or petsmart?

When I tested the water when the first fish died everything was normal. I've had the tank for a few months now. I've had guppies with ich before, it's not that. Temp is , I need to change the water now but I didn't when the first guppy died. I got this one at Petsmart (I've had him for a while, never had any problems) and the one that died at Petco. (He had ich and recovered a long time before he died.)
Symptoms are basically-
-Float near top, act lethargic, don't eat much
-Sit on the bottom in the gravel, act spooked
-This second guppy has a really hard time staying upright and sometimes lays on his side or ends up upside down for a little bit. He squirms around on the bottom.
He's still fighting but he's obviously miserable. I feel so bad, I'm thinking about euthanasia...:(

Actually, I looked into Velvet and the symptoms seem similar. I'm going to try the flashlight thingy that helps identify it.
UPDATE: Can't see any yellowy dust stuff that is a symptom of Velvet, but now that I look at him closer he is very skinny. HELP!
(p.s I feed them enough, this must be a symptom.)

Why do i say its velvet?

Symptoms are basically-
-Float near top, act lethargic, don't eat much
-Sit on the bottom in the gravel, act spooked
-This second guppy has a really hard time staying upright and sometimes lays on his side or ends up upside down for a little bit. He squirms around on the bottom.
He's still fighting but he's obviously miserable. I feel so bad, I'm thinking about euthanasia...:(

This is velvet.

Mphish, are they shimming tail down? Like really noticibly tail down?

If yes its velvet.

If not, it could be an internal parasite like hexitima, if their bloated before death, then its likely HOTH (hole in the head) or malawi chiclid bloat, another type of HOTH.

Edit. here are some pictures man. Please help me help you and do a little search on google or something as well. Here is a picture of Velvet https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...6st%3D0%26sk%3Dt%26sd%3Da%26start%3D0;800;663

Sorry for the huge link, but its just the easiest way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom