My guppy looks funny...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The chemicals seem to be fine. I did lots of searching, and I got some antibiotic tablets from the LFS. On the back it says what it's used to treat, and they had all of it. :) I started treatment 3 days ago (This being the 3rd day), but I only have one guppy left. The only thing he has is pop-eye. The two females that died got to be sendentary, they also had pop-eye, but no fin damage at all. The male doesn't have any fin damage either, and he's very active still. Maybe I caught it in time with him. Let's hope.

At the LFS, I had to go through 3 clerks before I found one that knew what I was talking about. He was very helpful. I told him what I thought was the problem and he told me symptoms and stuff. He said what he does is dissolve some of the medicine in a dish and soak the food in it, that way the fish will take in some antibiotics and it can fight the disease much better that way. Apparently Tetra used to make antibiotic food at one point, but the kid said the FDA regulated, so they can't get it anymore.

-j

Just a quick update...I think this is day 6 of treatment. Good news! My boy's eyes seem to be getting back to normal. I may have lost some battles, but it seems I have won the war! But I'm still skeptical for another few weeks ;-).

I also found a snail that I didn't know I had. My guess is he came with the plants I bought, which also seem to be doing FABULOUS. They're sprouting all over the place, and I've never seen anything like this before, so I'm surious to see how this thing works. Doing things right = tanks last longer = fun things happen!

-j

Sorry to hear about the fish dying. It sounds more like he was deformed from birth than it being a disease. Unfortunately, guppies are often in-bred and kept under pathetic conditions, and the guppies you find in normal pet stores like Petsmart and such can be more susceptible to diseases and deformities. A good guppy breeder is the best place to find hardy, healthy guppies.

Back
Top Bottom