My guppy won't eat!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My guppy won't eat and he either floats at the top of the tank or lays on the gravel or something like that. He's been in the tank almost 6 days. I just changed water yesterday.

Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels. Sounds like ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Not yet but I just changed water yesterday. And my Platy is fine. The tank isn't cycled.

I would definitely find out what your numbers are. If it's not completely cycled, your ammonia may be high. They will swim at the top for oxygen or lay at the bottom clamping their gills. Keep doing your water changes.

My platy is in the same tank and its fine. My tank has an air pump but the bubbles are piled up in a corner of the tank for some reason.

Your guppy may just be sick or much more sensitive to your ammonia levels than the rest. Your bubbles are probably just going to the corner from the circulation at the surface. The tank l've got with the air stones does the same thing

I'll do a water change tomorrow. My guppy has been like this since I got him. Sometimes he has been normal though.

Test results:
0.25 ammonia
Almost no nitrite.
Using API Liquid Test Kit

When I first got my guppy he kind of put it in his mouth but didn't eat it. I'll try a different food i guess. He doesnt seem to care when i put in food and i think he's gonna starve!!:(

your numbers aren't dangerous, but you said it hasn't fully cycled yet right ? Were you doing water changes when you first brought him home. He could be showing signs from an earlier ammonia spike. I would definitely try some different food and see if that helps.

I changed water the day after I got the fish.

THe ammonia levels were either 0.25 or 0.50 or something in between when i tested water this morning.

eduguy said:
THe ammonia levels were either 0.25 or 0.50 or something in between when i tested water this morning.

Have you gotten your ammonia to .25 or less with your water changes?

I am going to water change today. Maybe test. My guppy looks like his fins are a bit torn. Along the outside of his fins there is white.

eduguy said:
I am going to water change today. Maybe test. My guppy looks like his fins are a bit torn. Along the outside of his fins there is white.

That's usually a sign of fin nipping, but you don't have any fish known for that. It could be the beginning of finrot with him appearing unhealthy already. You can add some melafix to the water to deal with it. It won't affect your pleco.

My guppy was affected by sickness too much and he was swimming upside down on the ground and he had finrot and ich so i had to flush him down the toilet. :( :9
Rest in Peace.

Back
Top Bottom