My Kribs spawned again :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well this is the second time they spawn as far as I know, but the male eats them as soon as the become wigglers. This time they "hatched" and were wiggling on the bottom of their "cave" and over night he ate them. The next day i was doing a water change and i noticed a few fry got sucked up so i collected them in the tub and transfered them back into the aquarium but this time I put them in a PVC joint I had bought so they can use as a cave. and almost as soon as i put them in there he came and gobbled them all up!!!!

This is very dissapointing but he's rather young so Id like to know if they eventualy get arount towards not eating their fry????

Not having had kribs specifically I can't say for sure, but I had the same problem with my geo's for several spawns. They would eat their own fry. I have also had the same problem with angelfish but the angels wouldn't even let them become wrigglers. Hopefully they will get the hang of it as my other fish did.

Well Im glad to report that he didnt eat them....He was just moving them to a safer palce, and all the time I was thinking dark thoughts about him..
The fry are about 3 days old by now and there seems to be about 20 of them although i didnt see that much this morning. They are realy fun to watch and they seem like really devoted parents. cant wait to get back home from work to watch them and maybe getr some pics.

Here's a couple of photos I took today

Attachments

• P5010061.jpg
    P5010061.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P5010060.jpg
    P5010060.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 65
  • P5010059.jpg
    P5010059.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 72
The top right and bottom pic is of the female. I am curious though, typically the female does not allow the male to be anywhere near the eggs or wrigglers, he is usually left to defend the surrounding territory. But as always, most fish haven't read the books! I breed kribs in a harem situation, 4-5 females to one male, each female gets an individual small flowerpot. I usually remove the male post spawnings and let each female tend to her brood. After they are free swimming I remove the females and start feeding newly hatched brine shrimp. I use 20 gallon long tanks for this process. Bill

My Kribs didn't read the book either....LOL. The both take turns caring for the fry. or sometimes their both at it at the same time. They take the fry for a swim around the tank, and fend off those pesky neons, while the babies "graze". Its quite fun watching them.

that whole moving them around can really scare the crap out of you the first time you see it, eh?

my wife's sitting there watching the tank, then "hey, they're eating the babies! Make them stop! he's eating them!"

and then watching him drop them closer to the cave.

Ohh yeah ....But the first time they spawned he actualy ate the eggs...I was very disapointed by this as they would have been the first spawn and the second time I saw this I just gave up and said "aww shucks Ill be the only one with kribs who dont spawn :("..

But now they have gotten the hang of it and from what i can see they will probably try and spawn every two months now.

Back
Top Bottom