My lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm getting new lighting for my hex(40g) where does it put me its a t5 4 bulb 24 watts each high output

Would love to start growing lowplants and red plants let me know if I've accomplished this thx

Getting close, but prob not quite enough.

Even accounting for the higher efficiency of the T5HO's, you are still at ~3.5 wpg (NO equivalent) ... you can give the carpets & reds a try (with added CO2), but being that hex's are tall & harder to light, I suspect you will need a bit more light yet.

jsoong said:
Getting close, but prob not quite enough.

Even accounting for the higher efficiency of the T5HO's, you are still at ~3.5 wpg (NO equivalent) ... you can give the carpets & reds a try (with added CO2), but being that hex's are tall & harder to light, I suspect you will need a bit more light yet.

My water depth is only 17 inches deep the tank water is lower because I have a water fall does that change things

Yes greatly. Look At this

You need the lights closer to the water, or most of it will go to waste. Watts per gallon isn't really a good measure of lighting. Better too look at the Par rating, and see where you'd be on the scale.

How far exactly would you say the distance is between the water surface and the light fixture?

so at a total of 20.5 inches, you'd be in the mid light range with 1 bulb, and high range with 2 bulb. Sounds like you'd be fine to me, with some DiY Co2 you're plants would be "bumpin" as dustin says.

Back
Top Bottom