My long lost rainbow sharky love!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not mine, sillies...my other shark's. I bought one a few days ago, and I bought 5 more today. I LOVE these sharks, and have successfully kept them in groups of at least 6. I have 3 albinos (or blondies as I like to call them) and 3 of the regular black sharky with red finnies. Well, the sharky I bought before is "bonding" with a new friend that I brought home today. They aren't fighting, but rather put this synchronized swimming show thingy on and press their bodies together as if they want to get it on with one another. I don't really know what's going on. I think it's really cute, though!!!

I have never had this fish so I don't know either what they are doing. But it does sound cute. Even little fishies need friends! 8)

I used to have rainbow sharks but nothing like that ever happened. I got read of mine when I dicided to try to breed them. I found out they verry rairly breed in captivity. Anyhow do a google search on "breed rainbow sharks". It is possible - I guess.

Punkymom said:
Not mine, sillies...my other shark's. I bought one a few days ago, and I bought 5 more today. I LOVE these sharks, and have successfully kept them in groups of at least 6. I have 3 albinos (or blondies as I like to call them) and 3 of the regular black sharky with red finnies. Well, the sharky I bought before is "bonding" with a new friend that I brought home today. They aren't fighting, but rather put this synchronized swimming show thingy on and press their bodies together as if they want to get it on with one another. I don't really know what's going on. I think it's really cute, though!!!
do you have a big tank or small fish? i wouldnt keep my hopes up for all of them too live peacefully together for too long of a time.

I have to agree with e-cat. Ive had rainbow sharks before and always found they do well with only one per tank... Once they mature (and get bigger) they can become aggressive towards there own kind IME. I had a large rainbow for about 6 years got to about 4 inches, i tried adding a couple of 'friends' which he quickly hounded until they gave in. They are wonderful fish but IME only as single specimens....

I've seen them kept successfully in groups of 6 or more. Currently I have 6 in a 55 gal. They have several caves available, and they are doing fine. They don't pick on each other, and they shouldn't start to...they have the entire bottom to themselves. They'll figure out a pecking order and they'll be fine.

good luck with them punkymom, but IMO 6, 6" fish would be crowded in a 55 gallon , and since there 6, fish of the same spieces that dont like the same spieces around for long.

Well, they each have their own little cave to go into, and plenty of plants to seek refuge in, so I'm hoping they will do fine.

Back
Top Bottom