My low light tank is understocked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ran out of NO3 test reagent ages ago and didn't replace it. Slack I know, but there it is. So today is a public holiday and I went for a jaunt to the LFS and got a new NO3 kit, I also got a PO4 kit too because I never had one.

So, for a few months I have to admit to not keeping up with the pwc's as often as I should, getting back into a better routine over the last few weeks. I also rearranged the plants moving plants with a higher light requirement to more open areas and getting rid of a heap of Val. which was blocking a lot of light. I did the NO3 test and got a reading of 0 and the PO4 test read 0.5 ppm.

Currently in the tank there are 3 medium Angelfish, 10 Rummy nose, 9 Cardinals, 2 Apisto. cactuoides, 9 Beckford's pencilfish, 2 Bristlenose, 5 Julii and 1 Panda cory and 2 ottos.

The tank has much more swimming space due to the work with the plants. I want to get the school of Cardinals up to 20, same with the Rummy Nose. I will also increase the number of corys, I would like to get the Panda numbers up again. I think I am going to look out for Keyholes as well.

I should mention that the tank is 4 ft L x 2 ft W x 1.5 ft H. That is approx 80 Gal I think (326 Litres). I have a Fluval 404 and I just put a Rena internal power filter back in to increase the current a bit. I have been running just under 80 W of regular ol' fluro lighting, but since I have taken down my 20 gal tank I have put the 2 ft fixture (40 W) over the tank for the time being. That is an experiment to see how the plants and algae respond.

I can't really add more fish right now as I will be moving house in a couple of weeks, but it is only really moving around the corner so that isn't really going to cause too many dramas.

So how is that for a long post! :) I will post some pics once the cloudyness settles down.

As a fellow low-lighter, I can sympathize with you on the NO3 issue. I agree with proper stocking for low-light tanks...it helps tremendously with NO3. I keep a bottle of Flourish handy just in case my bio-load slips.

I would suggest a larger pleco to assist with this. You can't beat them for the waste production. I theorize that my gibbiceps is responsible for a lot of the plants being healthy.

Good luck on your move. :)

Love to see some pics man :) According to Tom Barr, low-light tanks can be maintained without any water changes if the biofilters are working properly. I would love that.

I'll try to get a few pics up. The water is still a touch cloudy.

I do use flourish, but with the amounts of PO4 in it I think the NO3 will be used quickly and there will be excess PO4. As you can see in the pics I have a slight algae problem., I just ignore it, its naturally occuring and not excessive at the moment.

The Amazon Swords have decreased in size. I am pretty sure it is due to lighting issues. But they are growing new leaves, just not looking as lush as they could.

Attachments

• whole_tank_jan_2_06.jpg
    whole_tank_jan_2_06.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 53
  • rhs_of_tank.jpg
    rhs_of_tank.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 41
No, I don't have any fancy plants. It is probably Val. Just planted in clumps and with the tops trimmed. The leaves block out quite a bit of light. I'll post a pic of the tank as a before shot.

The pic shows what the val. does at the top of the tank and since it spread quite a bit it blocked out way too much light. The Ozelot(?) sword grew those broad leaved in the tank under low light. It has a new flush of leaves now but they are still small. I might go buy some over-priced ferts anyway just to see if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• my_tank_cropped.jpg
    my_tank_cropped.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 40
Looking good Matt :)

BTW, I just saw Wolf Creek and I don't plan on taking any trips into the Outback any time soon :p What a great movie!

I really admire tanks like yours, where its clear the owner wants to create the best enviornment for their fish. All those hiding places and the swimming room and the plants... You have a great tank.

FWIW, I think your plant of increasing bioload is perfect. If you decide to use ferts, you may be able to get KNO3 as stump remover from a local garden store, and its a better buy than fancy ferts. You would calculate dose with Chuck's Calc.

I might just get A.R. KNO3 from a chemical supply company. All I need is some scales to measure milligrams.

Just had a thought, I can get all the above from work and make up a stock solution that will last ages and then dose from that. I am back at work on the 2nd of Feb. so it will have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom