My Male Betta is kicking the bucket........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
:(

I have only owned Jesus (pronounced "HeyZues") for about a year and a half.....

Starting three weeks ago I noticed he was not eating as much, not very active and not at all interested in any of his females whom he typically would be chasing everywhere. After about of week of this I decided to QT him and treat with BettaFix as it is supposed to help with gill infections, fin rot and help with "rapid re-growth of fins". Anyway... His condition just continued to decline and decline until he eventually got to a point where he would not move or eat what so ever. I think he wasn't moving because he did not have the energy.... I let him live like this for roughly two weeks until I decided he'd be better off in the tank with his females....... Boy was I wrong. One of them turned on him at ate some of his fins, I got pretty PO'd and went at her with the net and she backed off :p This morning, his entire bottom fin is gone and most of his tail fin are gone...... His dorsal fin still seems to be kind of intact. He is floating between a couple of plants in my aquarium. He stays upside down for the most part but ocassionally seems to make his way onto his side. I can still tell he is breathing because of how much his chest is pounding and his gills are opening/closing.... It's sad, he typically would swim to the surface for air every couple of minutes. He is still responsive, looking around and whatnot. I'm undecided on whether that may be some REM or something....

Anyway..... Should I euthanise him? He has been a long time friend and I care dearly for him and don't want him to die painfully, though being a Siamese fighting fish I want him to die an honorable death. What do you think?

This shot was taken when he was reassonably healthy..

Joe

Attachments

• 1_579.jpg
    1_579.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 36
hmmm....thats a tough one, well if they are leaving him alone now...i would keep him in there, but if the females keep going at him i would euthanize him.....its a sad sad day :(

It sounds like it might be time to say goodbye to your friend. Thats a tough situation.....I think most people who care about this hobby have been there a few times. Personally I would euthanize if he shows no improvement the next 48 hours. Sorry about your loss.

We've had a long journey together and I can honestly say I've done my best to treat him when sick, maintain proper diet... etc etc...... I think it is old age and since he doesn't really have any fin left to be eaten I think I am just going to let him do his thing.

Can someone please tell me wat type of oil to use when euthanizing? I think I remember reading olive oil or maybe it was cod liver oil. Anyway. Thanks.

Joe

Joe,
From what I've been reading, the most humane way to euthanize would be to put your betta in a cup with straight vodka. If you don't have vodka, put water and ice cubes in a bowl or ziploc baggy, put the betta in it, and then stick it in the freezer.
I'm really sorry about your betta, I have bettas too, and I really love them.

I decided I am going to let him die on his own, if he is going to die. If I were him, that is how I would want it.

A very sad day for my aquarium indeed, though the other fish don't seem to mind the loss I'm sure they're hurting on the inside 8) :(

Anyway... Yeah... I might be adding some stuff about "BettaFix" to this thread and how it may or may not have been involved in the death of Jesus. Rite now I am just way too pissed off at the maufacturer (aquarium products, or is it aquarium pharmicuticals -it's one of the two) to get into detail about this. You guys are going to be pissed, I think anyway.

Please note, when I say "guys" I am referring to anyone who might be reading this :p No offence to the ladies :)

To Jesus... My beloved Betta :(

Joe

Hi AquaJoe,
I'm so sorry about your betta. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier...I would NOT recommend BettaFix for a betta, especially an already-stressed betta. IMO, there are better meds for bettas. It sounds like you've taken good care of him and he had a good life with you. I believe that clove oil and vodka can be used for euthanizing. Do a search here on this site and you'll find some posts about it. I know it's a very hard decision and procedure. One of my bettas lingered for 10 days and after some treatment that didn't help, I just made him as comfortable as I could and let him go on his own. If you do this, I would put him in his own container and get him away from the females, if you haven't already.

The active ingredient in MelaFix seems to adversely affect the labyrinth organ. It's a wonderful treatment for other fish but bettas and gouramis seem to have a sensitivity to it. I gave my betta a dose of MelaFix and he fell like a rock to the bottom of the tank. I immediately did a 90% water change and he perked up. Some members have reported success with MelaFix and bettas, but they had large tanks (10-15 gallons) with filtration and did water changes daily. If you have that type of setup and wanted to try the MelaFix, you could, but with the use of any treatment, watch the fish for signs of stress. Good luck!

I suspect that if you had him for a year and a half, he has lived out his natural lifespan, and there is nothing you can do to prevent his demise. Vodka sounds like a brutal death to me; I would put him in water in the freezer and let him go that way. Tough go. I feel for you.

Back
Top Bottom