My male Black Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few days ago a realized that Cesar (my Black Molly male) is swimming quite awkward, with his dorsal fin and tale barely moving, mainly using just the side fins and sometimes with his had pointed downwards and tale up right. :confused:Otherwise his behavior is okay, eating, sleeping and swimming all over the tank.
Any suggestions?

Tanks mates?
Tank size?
Parameters?
PWC schedule?
Please :)

30 Gal
1 Swordtail male
1 Baloon Ram
1 PowderBlue Dwarf Gourami
3 Kuhli (striped)
2 Black Kuhli

Last water test 2 days ago:
PH 7.5 (LA tap water with Prime)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Last 40% water change 2 days ago, done once a week or so, depending on water parameters - tested every 3 days

Just stabbing in the dark here.
Are there any marks/bites in him?
Is he bloated at all?
Is he pooping and what what color is it?
Are any other fish showing signs?
Is he getting picked on at all?

Swim bladder and once they head stand they don't usually make it.

Has the tank or Cesar gone through anything lately?

Just stabbing in the dark here.
Are there any marks/bites in him?
Is he bloated at all?
Is he pooping and what what color is it?
Are any other fish showing signs?
Is he getting picked on at all?

-No bite marks
-Not bloated
-Yes he is pooping :) color is light-ish (white-ish)
-Other fish don't show same behavior
-Blue (Gourami) is chasing mainly Athos (swordtail) and a bit Adolph (baloon Ram) but didn't see bothering him

Swim bladder and once they head stand they don't usually make it.

Has the tank or Cesar gone through anything lately?

He doesn't "had stand" swim all the time (saw him a couple of times since he showed this behavior)

No, the tank nor Cesar went to anything unusual (no water parameters changes, no new food, the Kuhli Bros are the newest introduction, about 7 days ago though)

Hmm, then I'm not really exactly sure what could be wrong.

The only other time I know of Molly fish doing a "Head Stand" is when they are stressed out pretty badly.

Is anyone chasing him for that matter?

I keep black mollies too, and have noticed they are prone to a fuzzy white fungus on their heads, mouth, eyes and sides. Usually, they have a clamped tail fin and dorsal fin they day before they get the fuzz. Check them very carefully for white fuzz.

PHP said:
Hmm, then I'm not really exactly sure what could be wrong.

The only other time I know of Molly fish doing a "Head Stand" is when they are stressed out pretty badly.

Is anyone chasing him for that matter?

Today his behavior was almost normal, even fought a bit with my swordtail for a blood worm :) could have been stressed I guess, will keep an eye. Thanks a lot.

Sisserydoo said:
I keep black mollies too, and have noticed they are prone to a fuzzy white fungus on their heads, mouth, eyes and sides. Usually, they have a clamped tail fin and dorsal fin they day before they get the fuzz. Check them very carefully for white fuzz.

Didn't notice any fuzz but will look again.
Today he looked much better, might have been stress.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom