My mating pare are both females.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just found out that my inseparable pair of red stripte cleaner shimp are both females. I guess that's why the eggs never hatch. Both of them have eggs.

Currently my 2 shrimp stay with in inches of each all the time. Is this normal for 2 females to bond like this? However they will steal food from one another during feeding. Their so cute together.

Could I try to get a third shimp hoping it will be male or could that start a war in my tank between the shrimps. I would like to have about 5-7 shrimp. I could just get a different breed like peppermint shrimps if too many of one kind is bad.

Thanks.

150 Gallon tank 48x24x30

I just found out that my inseparable pair of red stripte cleaner shimp are both females. I guess that's why the eggs never hatch. Both of them have eggs.

Currently my 2 shrimp stay with in inches of each all the time. Is this normal for 2 females to bond like this? However they will steal food from one another during feeding. Their so cute together.

Could I try to get a third shimp hoping it will be male or could that start a war in my tank between the shrimps. I would like to have about 5-7 shrimp. I could just get a different breed like peppermint shrimps if too many of one kind is bad.

Thanks.

150 Gallon tank 48x24x30

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I believe these shrimp are [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]hermaphrodites[/FONT]

What if I want baby cleaner shrimp. Can one turn male or female? At this moment they both are full of eggs under their paddles.

What if I want baby cleaner shrimp. Can one turn male or female? At this moment they both are full of eggs under their paddles.

well heres the birds and bees and the shrimp thing lol. your shrimp are Both sex's as in they are male and female so its possible the eggs are live and will in time hatch, now the bad news, without a very specialized tank (kiesel sp?) it will be all but impossible for them to grow out, as stated above they are food for the tank

Agree... unless you make it a serious goal, you aren't going to raise baby cleaner shrimp. Waaaaay easier to just buy them as babies from the LFS. But even then, they'll just be fish food. My shrimp has eggs at every molt (about once every 4 weeks) and I've never seen anything remotely looking like a baby shrimp. And from what I understand, they can self fertilize themselves.

Thats good news. Thanks. I guess from what you are saying in my tank it won't ever happen with current and filters and hungry critters. Thank you for you responses. I might set up a 10 gallon tank one of these days with out a filter and see if I can get the eggs to hatch in there. For now I except the eggs will just be food. :( Thank you again for your answers.

I was fortunate to have witnessed a peppermint shrimp hatching (spawning? birth?). The shrimp shot to the top of the water, flicked her tail, and shot back to the bottom. Suddenly there were a zillion teeny tiny babies in the water.

They were all gone in 5 minutes. Chromis, clown, and wrasse chow.

Back
Top Bottom