My Molly fish is somersaulting and swimming upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsDizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys please help I have been other forums and tried the things they suggested but nothing is improving it’s actually getting worse

My Sailfin Molly is swimming upside down and or somersaulting while he swims I have moved him to an isolation tank it is filtered and heated water is Presteigne and no improvements in the fish behaviour

This started about a week ago but was very mild was almost like it was just being lazy because when he wanted to he would swim straight hard and fast, at first sickness wasn’t a thought because of this behaviour, but it got worse over the next few days and he became more lame. Now when he swims it’s never straight always off balanced and rests on his side, although when I go to move him to see if he is ok he swim really fast still just has no sense of direction or balance, he has been in the isolation tank for 2 days and as mentioned no improvement

I’ve tried starving him for 2 days (not sure why but it’s what a forums said, but he looked like he was simply going to die of starvation, so I fed him minimal amount literary 1 flake the size of your finger tip if you look at your finger front on
IMG_9895.jpgIMG_9898.jpgIMG_9899.jpg

Hmmm it sounds like you might be dealing with swim bladder. Keep your water clean and try doing 5 percent water changes for a week. Try feeding it frozen peas cut up into bit size.

This is him. Now... is he basically dead? He still swim fast when I touch him but just completely upside down, he is 1.5years old is that it’s life span? Is it old age? IMG_7897.jpg

If the tankmates are okay, aging out could be a possibility. Swim Bladder Disease is merely a symptom of several possible problems; Bacterial, Parasitic or Constipation. IMO, old age should be added to the list.

I just google the life span and this is what I got-

The natural lifespan of sailfin mollies, like other small poeciliids, is short, particularly in the case of the males, which may live less than one year after achieving sexual maturity. Depending upon environmental conditions sailfin mollies may become reproductively in less than a year. Sailfin mollies are small fish

He has fathered 2 schools and the first school was November 2017, it’s now July 2018, so I’m guessing age might be the issue, how should I relieve him, it’s sad to see him like this but I don’t actually know if he’s in pain, he could be perfectly pain free? Should I just let him die before relieving him?

Probably not a good idea to leave him in the tank. As his health deteriorates, his body might become an incubator to a long list of pathogens that could adversely affect the stability of your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom