My Molly had a million babies waddyado?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollyMaster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to breed a LOT mollies in a 90 gal. tank and my dalmation had 40 babies, now last week:D:D:D 60 more babies, i take the babies out and put them n a 29 gal. by themselves, so how many babies can i put n there without over crowding it? Any advice on getting the other mollies to breed?????

as long as they are babies you can have tons of babies in a 29g tank now as they get older and bigger (1" or so) then start going by the inch per gallon rule. i have about 100 or so baby guppies in a 5g (ranging from 3days to 3 months and they all do fine).

no advice on getting the other mollies to breed timing is all up to them.

just what i would do

Well u c wat i do is catch the babies and put them n a little critter cage and set that n the 29 for about an hour for the water temp to b equal, then let them go in there 4 about 2-3 weeks until they r big enough then put them back n the 90 gal. (i didn't think there was limit i just didn't want to overcrowd the midgets) & do u know if the "dominant" male would get along with each other if there r no females 4 them???? bcuz i have some males that chase females 24/7 and bite their fins and i just wanted 2 maybe make a tank just for those males?

Well u c wat i do is catch the babies and put them n a little critter cage and set that n the 29 for about an hour for the water temp to b equal, then let them go in there 4 about 2-3 weeks until they r big enough then put them back n the 90 gal. (i didn't think there was limit i just didn't want to overcrowd the midgets) & do u know if the "dominant" male would get along with each other if there r no females 4 them???? bcuz i have some males that chase females 24/7 and bite their fins and i just wanted 2 maybe make a tank just for those males?

when i had mollies that never happened to me but if some of the males are being to agressive i would remove them. if they are just going towards the bottom of the other fish they are probably just trying to show off to females. if there is no injury to the other fishes fins you should be fine

i heard that if the male keeps bothering her then she will be stressed out and either abort the babies or eventually get weak and die, and i think he was the one who bit a chunk of the dalmations fin off, it wasnt that bad but i dont like that happening to her, how did you breed them???

ur suppose to have 2 females to every male and if you have that and the males are still so agressive then i really dont know what to say. if you dont have 2 females to every male thjen i advise you to get a few more females and that should stop tthe aggression. when i bred mollies i bred black mollies and i usaually just let them give birth in the tank. mollies (from my experience) usually have about 50 or so babies. the way i got the babies is i would see one every now and then just laying on a plant (and when theres 1 baby there has to be more) so after i saw the 1st i just moved the decor and plants and stuff around (places the babies would hide) and i usually found anywhere from 20 to 60 babies. the babies are really good at sinking into the gravel to hide so swish around the gravel when looking for them and you will find alot more.

if i wanted to have 5-10 mollys to use as feeders a week how many would i have to start out with to not over populat the tank not sure on the size of the tank at the moment just looking into it should be cheaper than buying feeders

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom