My neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djarchngl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've kept all my fish except my neons... 7 died, one was left.
It was sad.

BUT!

The last few days it's been schooling with some golden tetras and has seemed to have found a new family!

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, but I thought it was cool!

Neons seem to be so inbred that their "hardiness" has worn thin. Years ago i remember Neons being quite hardy, nowadays it seems good if they last 1 year. I think there is a a lot of irresponsibility by breeders and sellers in this industry, neons are one of the byproducts of it.

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Neons seem to be so inbred that their "hardiness" has worn thin. Years ago i remember Neons being quite hardy, nowadays it seems good if they last 1 year. I think there is a a lot of irresponsibility by breeders and sellers in this industry, neons are one of the byproducts of it.

-Pleco

Couldn't agree more. It's a shame for certain. Neons, mollies, and guppies alike. I remember the 'good old days' when these were considered 'staple' hardy fish. Now they're nearly 'experts-only'... :(

actually... neons aren't bred comercially in the states... i always thought that they were mostly wild caught because of that. They must be bred other places then imported maybe?

I've had alot of luck with my neons... they are extrmely hardy.

I've had good luck with my neons too *knocks on wood as to not doom them* I've got some that are about 2 years old. One was sure to be a goner about a year ago. His tail had fallen off (injury not finrot) one of his eyes was scaled over, and his spine was bending. He was lying on the rocks about to die... but I decided to let him die on his own rather than euthanizing him. Good thing for him, he made a full recovery and is still alive! His eyes scale-over every now and then, but then the scales come off and his eyes are fine. His tail grew back and he still has a slight curve in his spine... but he's still acting just fine.

Cardinals are caught in the wild, but neons are bred (that's why cardinals are more expensive I believe). I didn't know that they weren't bred here in the US... but I'm almost positive that they aren't caught from the wild.

Back
Top Bottom