My new 20 gallon long journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinthos26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally the Petco dollar per gallon sale started today! So I bought myself a 20 gallon long to upgrade from my 10. I hope to make a larger upgrade in the future but for now this is the best I can do.
I've been wanting to start a journal and this is only my second tank so I will definitely still be needing advice :)
This site seems to have some great people on it so I hope I get a couple followers :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So first question, which is probably the most important before I even start, is if you all think this desk is going to hold a 20 gallon tank?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1334092041.568232.jpg

I know it's going to weigh around 220+ lbs. I think it will be fine but I'm not an expert. I also live on the second floor of a very old apartment building :/

Mehhh, if I'm not mistaking, do I see a gap between bottom of middle tank and desk top?
If you do use this desk I'd recommend putting a couple solid boards underneath the tank or even building a small platform to carry/displace the load, you wouldn't want to stress the seals.. it would probably be fine as is but I'm just cautious with this stuff.. i live in an old apartment to, nothing is level and the floors bounce when I walk..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I believe that's just the cardboard that is still on it. I like the idea of a board though. I'm definitely gonna have to level this thing.

Nope you were right. There's definitely a small gap in the middle. Only bout 1mm though. Is that really bad?

Nope you were right. There's definitely a small gap in the middle. Only bout 1mm though. Is that really bad?

Probably not the end if the world in a smaller tank.. I'd still recommend a couple 3/4" pine boards with shim shingles underneath.. that way you can level a platform without messing with the table. . I made this for my new 30b because the table was way out of level and it's easier to level the platform than the table..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404077382923.jpg
    1404077382923.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 126
So surprisingly my desk just needed a small adjustment to get the tank level so that's all set now. I went out to walmart and picked up some blue poster board for the background. I put the glass top on. Putting the little handle on was so stressful cuz you only get one shot. Definitely did not put it exactly in the middle which is messing with my ocd -_-
Next step is rinsing out the gravel. I bought a 25lb bag of black gravel and I hope that will be enough. Sadly I won't have any more free time to work on this today :(

Back
Top Bottom