My New 38 Gallon Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I have started a brand new tank, and the biggest one I ever owned (which is a bit sad considering its small size). A 38 gallon planted tank! Woohoo!

The plants I have are amazon swords, java fern, cryptocoryne undulata, cryptocoryne wendtii, and dwarf anubias. So far, I am NOT off to a good start. I spent two hours yesterday battling my swords to get them to stay put, and once I finally did I realized I accidentally buried the rhyzomes of my java ferns and once i uncovered them they went all over the place and now most are tied down to rocks and driftwood and the last two are still floating. I need to figure out a spot for them. Today, I was attacked by my pressurized CO2 system twice because I decided to open the cylinder while the solenoid was plugged in, which was a slightly traumatic experience for me, and I accidentally brushed one of my swords and again it managed to break free of the substrate and now is being held down by a rock with three java ferns tied to it. As soon as its roots begin to grow I'm going to move them to a nicer spot.

The only plants that have given me absolutely no trouble are my anubias. I'm already in love with them. I have one tied to my driftwood and the others surrounding it. The crypts are also behaving. They're already starting to lift up the leaves that were drooping from the long trip through the post here (no good stores to buy healthy plants from). So yeah, not off to a good start.

But there are some good things happening, thank goodness. The cycle is started to, and I clipped some filter media from my betta tanks to seed bacteria and also used a rock from my betta tanks to tie some ferns to. But unfortunately I'm having trouble getting ammonia to 4 ppm like I'd like to. Yesterday it was at 1 ppm, and when I dosed again my results today were .5 ppm so i'm just downright confused. Maybe it's the plants or the seeded bacteria doing their work. I'll have to test for nitrites and nitrates to just in case my tank wants to apologize for putting me through hell and is going through an insta-cycle.

I'll post pictures when I can figure out how, so expect them real soon! And thanks for reading. I know it must be awfully boring reading about me fail.

Good luck with your tank . It's hard to get the plants to stay I have a 150 gal planted tank put new plants in to day was trying to stick some plant pieces in my driftwood my daughter was helping and a fish bit her 2x's lol so know I have to wait for the hubby to get home and help cause she's done. Good luck again I love my planted tank.

Rivercat, thanks I will definitely have to get those next time I'm planting because this certainly wasn't easy! Do you know how long it usually takes plants to start growing and attach themselves to the substrate so I can remove the rock?

Anyways, I started cycling today too and so far have been getting some weird results. Yesterday I dosed 5 mL of ammonia and it went up to 1 ppm. Obviously it isn't enough so I dosed 3 mL more and today it was .5 so now I'm just confused. I have to test for nitrites to see if I'm having a magical insta-cycle (yeah, I wish).

Oh, and pictures soon I promise. Photobucket is just being a jerk.

Okay photobucket finally worked so here are the pictures of my tank. Please spare me the comments on my aquascaping because I know it's not the greatest thing ever lol. And I'm gonna move that big clump of java ferns as soon as the sword sticks itself to the substrate.

The substrate is Eco Complete and the lighting is a two bulb T5 HO fixture with one 6500K daylight bulb and one pink plant growth bulb (forget the exact name) and the total watts are 78W. And I still have to figure out how I'm gonna deal with those floating java ferns.

perrypic9297

The full tank shot

perrypic9297

The cave with java ferns growing on the side

perrypic9297

Cryptocoryne wendtii

perrypic9297

Java ferns tied to a rock and a cryptocoryne undulata

perrypic9297

Driftwood with anubias and java fern tied to it

If they don't work just tell me and I'll provide the external link

They don't work, you'll have to send a link. I actually have eco-complete in that goldie tank where I used the anchors. As for rooting time, I can't really say. In my big 220g tank I did organic soil capped with eco and the swords were well rooted in about 4 weeks. I just put a baby sword in with the goldies but used an anchor so I don't know how long it will take to root. I know there was a red melon sword that didn't have hardly any roots but the plant was big/tall, we had to place a couple big rocks on each side to stablize it and I know it was at least 6 or so weeks before I moved it. I didn't want to have to fight with it again. I'd just wait at least 4 to 6 weeks, better to be safe than irritated!

I've never done a fishless cycle. My big tank was cycled with 10 days but that was due to the heavy plantings and huge WC's. I'm the wrong person to answer that question, sorry.

UGH this always happens to me! Okay I'll give the link to the first picture. Just click next to view the rest and tell me what you think. 9-7-122.jpg picture by perrypic9297 - Photobucket

Okay I guess I'll move the rock in four weeks. That's how long it apparently takes for anubias and java fern to attach themselves to the driftwood so I suppose it's about the same. The swords' roots were pretty short so it may even take longer O_O

Anyways, I tested for nitrites and nitrates as well. Nitrites came out as 0 ppm and nitrates was 1.2. How I got any nitrates, I have no idea. I guess it's from the other filter media I seeded with.

I think your off to a pretty good start. You just have to be patient. I've found over the years that Java ferns and anubias can take longer than 4 weeks so don't rush it. Many times you can see the new roots that are attached to whatever you tied them to and then you know it's rooted tight. I always just use cotton thread that eventually just rots away. I hate trying to cut string or rubberbands off.

Patience is really the key element in this hobby isn't it? lol well I'll give the swords 4 weeks before I remove the rocks holding them down and I'll wait until I see some progress on the ferns and anubias. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom