my new amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went to the store planning on buying ghost shrimp. But they didnt have any so I bought two of these little guys.
Can they sustain themselves simply on leftover flakes and particles that fall to the bottom??? What else can I do to sustain them. One seemed pretty happy to compete with my pleco for her algae wafer. A funny thing to watch.
Thanks

Oh and also does anyone know if they'll eat my java fern or amazon sword?? I read they eat "soft" plants

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110724_111917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110724_111917.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 193
tarpon said:
So I went to the store planning on buying ghost shrimp. But they didnt have any so I bought two of these little guys.
Can they sustain themselves simply on leftover flakes and particles that fall to the bottom??? What else can I do to sustain them. One seemed pretty happy to compete with my pleco for her algae wafer. A funny thing to watch.
Thanks

Oh and also does anyone know if they'll eat my java fern or amazon sword?? I read they eat "soft" plants

They will eat algae and any rotting leaves, u can supplement them with blanched zucchinis and algae wafers (place them somewhere ur pleco can't get into? :p) and also they wouldn't eat Ur plants. High doubt it

Yah. I could get free zucchini. But its been to hot here in texas so the plant died.....oh well.

Mine adore shrimp pellets (sounds like cannibalism, I know) and also Hikari algae wafers as well as any flakes they can grab. Amanos are also considered algae eating shrimp and can take a portion of their diet from that. They tend to ignore the blanched zucchini I add once in a while.

Lol they have no idea what they're eating. And yah I thought they were ghost shrimp at first. But they were being sold as japanese algae eater shrimp. And I hadnt heard of that. But then he said amano and I was like ohhhhhhhhhh.
The petco fish guy actually seemed pretty knowledgeable. I'm gonna see if I can find some rcs there soon.

Oh and also one of my shrimp is a white gray color while the other has sort of a brownish tint. Why do you think that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be kinda weird if he felt that secure since I just put him in there yesterday? The only places he could be totally hidden are under my driftwood....so not that many hiding places

What else is in the tank? Mine never hid but their tank mates are only cpd's and ember tetras

What's a cpd? Sorry.
And the tankmates are an albino bn pleco, 5 glass catfish, and 3 guppies. So all peaceful fish

Celestial pearl danio :) Potentially they don't view any of your fish as a threat so don't feel the need to hide. Also quite often the more hiding places you have for them the less likely they are to feel the need to use them.

Ohh okay. Well thanks! I think these guys are a great addition to my tank

Hey this might be a dumb question. But are my amano shrimp able to feed off of my fish's "waste"?

Last edited by a moderator:
tarpon said:
Hey this might be a dumb question. But are my amano shrimp able to feed off of my fish's "waste"?

They may, depending on how much veggie matter your fish eat, but they really don't get that much benefit from it.they will however eat algae and any leftover food before it causes a spike

tarpon said:
Can they eat bigger pieces of flakes as well?

Mine come flying out of the DW and snatch any pellet, flake or wafer that they catch a glimpse of. Usually after feeding the Corys...you'll see each of the 3 Amanos with their own individual pellet, lol.

Haha one of mine just molted. I freaked out at first thinking something died.
I need to leave the shell in right?

Back
Top Bottom