My new angel is being eaten! Ah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I JUST bought an angel fish day before yesterday. When I bought her she was just received and put in the holding tank at the fish store earlier that day. This morning I noticed the whole top of her fin was sliced off! This evening her lower fins were half gone and her tail is COMPLETELY missing! It's bone! >.< I think one of my fish is eating her.... My gourami I believe? he's always thought he owned the tank. maybe it's one fish too many.. plus shes smaller than him. I feel HORRIBLE! everytime I look there's more of my angel missing! No other fish has nipped fins.

Options:
1- I have a 10 gallon betta tank I was thinking about transfering her into temperarly.. but even if it's just for a short time and I put her back into my 60 i imagine shed get her fins nipped again because shed be the same size. plus my bettas are fighting off fin rot so id have to take out all the water and put them in something small for the time being. which id rather not do...

2- I have a 36 gallon tank i was trying to sell but at the moment there is a sick dying fish in there. which is taking forever to die. ): I thought maybe? But when I brought it up to my fiance I live with and he didnt seem like he really approved. money is tight and having a 3rd fish tank going is probably a little much.. But I really want my angel to live. plus i dont know if tranfering her again into another tank so soon would be so wise. would it ake things worse?

3- I thought about maybe a divider in the tank? if they make them that big. what do i do?

what would be best you think?

I would take her out or move the other fish. I would move her preferably. I had the same problem with but with tetras they killed off my whole tank. Being proactive and protecting the angel fish is the way to go! If she stays in the tank she will die no doubt abut that. Its your call which one you would want to move but before doing so see if there is a divider for them? It wouldn't hurt to ask. But the longer she or the tetras are in the tank she will keep getting bit especially with no fins! You can put her in the 10g tank to recover and to buy time to figure out what you want to do. Is the 10 gallon tank cycled? Is there any other fish in there? Once moved or vise versa give her some aquarium salt ASAP! Start treating her and then get the fin rot under control. Just my opinion :)

I would take her out or move the other fish. I would move her preferably. I had the same problem with but with tetras they killed off my whole tank. Being proactive and protecting the angel fish is the way to go! If she stays in the tank she will die no doubt abut that. Its your call which one you would want to move but before doing so see if there is a divider for them? It wouldn't hurt to ask. But the longer she or the tetras are in the tank she will keep getting bit especially with no fins! You can put her in the 10g tank to recover and to buy time to figure out what you want to do. Is the 10 gallon tank cycled? Is there any other fish in there? Once moved or vise versa give her some aquarium salt ASAP! Start treating her and then get the fin rot under control. Just my opinion :)

I was VERY close to putting the angel in the 10 gallon tank. But I realized that my 10 gallon tank isn't cycled. my 60g is, but I have no idea how to get some good bacteria transfered into the 10g the sand in the 60 is black and the 10g is white sand so I cant do that and a couple days ago i just rinsed out the filter cartirges so i dont know if they'd even have any bacteria on them? any ideas?

I'd put her in the 10g and just do daily PWCs or test water daily and keep Ammonia low. Anything is better than being eaten alive !!! Heck I'd keep it in a bucket with an air stone if I had to.

Get the Angel healthy and return her. Or rehome the Gourami.

I'd put her in the 10g and just do daily PWCs or test water daily and keep Ammonia low. Anything is better than being eaten alive !!! Heck I'd keep it in a bucket with an air stone if I had to.

Get the Angel healthy and return her. Or rehome the Gourami.

Thank you for responding! You were a big help! I hope it's not to late for her and will survive. Ill put her in my 10 after I wake up some.

Or for money pinching. Make a square out of wire and put it in ur net. Have it sit in ur cycled big tank with ur angel in it. This way she is in good water, separated from being eaten. I would add salt for overall heath as angel has open wounds. And this doesnt make. U run out and buy stuff or use another tank or expose it to fin rot while injured.

Back
Top Bottom