My new baby.... I think it's a girl!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
The lfs told me they were born in February in their store so that makes it 5-6 months old. The lfs also told me that male convicts are more colorful and t was too young to tell.

I thought by the research that i did, that the females were more colorful. It has orange on its sides. Am I right in thinking it is a girl, or is it too soon and may change? :thanks:

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_22-07-24_115.jpg
    2012-07-28_22-07-24_115.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2012-07-28_22-04-57_951.jpg
    2012-07-28_22-04-57_951.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 2012-07-28_22-04-51_871.jpg
    2012-07-28_22-04-51_871.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 2012-07-28_22-05-33_490.jpg
    2012-07-28_22-05-33_490.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 151
Congrats it's a girl, I know you have been planning this for awhile. What else are you planning to add?

Last edited:
Thanks, HUKIT. It was quite a decision but made easier with the fact I could only find african, convict, jack dempsy and firemouth in my town.
She will have the entire 27 gallons to herself! I bought floating mini hikari gold pellets and was told to only give her 3 a day right now. I tried feeding her and left them in the tank for about an hour and she didn't touch them so I dug out for now and will try tomorrow. Also bought beefheart to give every few days.
Want her to be happy and live long so if anyone has any advice I am open to suggestions!

The pellets are fine but I'd skip the beefheart, here is a link to someone who asked why...it's easier than retypeing it again.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/beefhearts-pros-and-cons-205877.html

Give her a few days to settle and she should start to come around, I usually leave the lights out and don't feed for a couple of days to help reduce stress. Maybe you'll change your mind and get her a girlfriend!

Wow. Thanks for the link. That so makes sense. I can't imagine these fish would find many cow hearts in their native waters...
Never really thought about it that way. Once again I listened to the lfs employees. I will be returning them soon.
So do you know about blood worms? I have those for my pictus. Would they be a good treat?
As far as getting her a girlfriend, they only had the one girl so I will see how things go but will they share a hiding spot? Or will I have to plan more caves?

I'll be honest I know a lot of people who use them but I tend to stick pretty strict to pellets, I'll throw in some nightcrawlers or crickets when I find them but that's pretty rare. They have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process so sometimes that can cause irritation in the digestive track.

With regards to getting her a lady friend I'd would make sure there are two distinct caves, so they can seperate fom each other if need be. If you get them both at a young age the chances will decrease in future aggressive behavior.

Thank you HUKIT. I appreciate your honesty and all of your experience. I think I will stick to the pellets. Got up this morning and her tank is a big ol cloud. Not really sure why so hopefully it will clear up. It is a new tank with new decor and filter but I used media from my other tank to do an instant cycle. And used water from the other tank to fill the filter. The other tank is still crystal clear.

Thanks bettaowner. We love her and look forward to many years with her. I put 3 pellets in the tank this morning and she took a little while but pounced on one and took it to the cave. It was as big as her head!

Got up this morning and her tank is a big ol cloud. Not really sure why so hopefully it will clear up. It is a new tank with new decor and filter but I used media from my other tank to do an instant cycle. And used water from the other tank to fill the filter. The other tank is still crystal clear.

Maybe it's just a small bacteria bloom from a mini-cycle, do you have test kit to monitor water conditions?

Yes, I have an api master.
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 - 5
Didn't show many nitrates but I guess I kinda expected that since everything is so new. The only thing that is "used" is a sponge and ceramics from the other tank. I will continue to check my parameters daily and I assume that the cloudiness will clear up in a few days. I don't want to add anything to disturb the cycle. Just makes it look "poluted"

Back
Top Bottom