My New Discus Venture...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm finally stepping up to the plate and finally starting my discus venture after a few years of dreaming. I happened to fall upon a Blood Pigeon that desperately needed some TLC so i took him in. I will quarantine it in a 20G until its fins are repaired and it is fat again which will give me some time to set up my actual discus tank!

So far, I'm looking at a 24x24 45G cube tank. I'm thinking 4-5 discus and my ram pairs. I'm likely to keep it bare-bottom until my discus reach adult size, then i will plan accordingly. Luckily, I've got an RODI which i will buffer with tap water for WC's and am already feeding an abundance of food between my breeding rams, reef tank, and scarlet badis pair.

The BP should be home by thursday night so i should get some pictures by then! Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated! :thanks:

I would guess that a 45 gallon cube is too small for 4-5 adult discus. I'm not a discus expert, but most folks in the know say that a 55 is the absolute minimum, with a 75 being far preferable.

Imo, I'd upgrade to a 55, or even better a 75. But if you can't then I'd say do 1-2 discus in their

Sent via echolocation

The 45g isn't long term, just a grow out for the final 4-5 I decide to keep. I will likely go for a 65 or 75 as the final display tank.I want their final home to be a planted aquarium which isn't currently suitable for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when growing groups out, not to overcrowd. Discus dominants can and will release a hormone inhibitor to stunt the growth of other males etc... But as long as they are no bigger than 2" when you can upgrade them then you should be ok. A good dozen is always a good place to start, with dime to quarter size discus, when looking for pairs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Be careful when growing groups out, not to overcrowd. Discus dominants can and will release a hormone inhibitor to stunt the growth of other males etc... But as long as they are no bigger than 2" when you can upgrade them then you should be ok. A good dozen is always a good place to start, with dime to quarter size discus, when looking for pairs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will keep that in mind. However, i think if even the case, 50% daily WCs will help counter that. Also, I'm starting with 3-4" discus. I've heard and been told too many horror stories with anything smaller, not to mention the extra care needed.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it! Pictures coming today!

Back
Top Bottom