My new light project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftfunnative

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new light for fathers day(my gift to me) and I decided to built a new hood. I was afraid my little boy would try and throw things into he tank if it was open.

It think it turned out pretty good and it goes on the tank tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

I'll update pics when I get it on the tank.

image-638336027.jpg

image-2842297976.jpg

image-3012993386.jpg

image-623436444.jpg

image-971639681.jpg

image-3972837127.jpg

image-2195684379.jpg

Nice work... Very neat and well finished... Is it out of scrylic??? Must be light weight too... Great job

Ah so quite durable too... Nothing like doing it yourself. Makes you appreciate it that much more.

So does the AL SOL sit on top? I see the two long narrow cut outs. Is that the placement of the LEDs? I am really considering getting one and modding my hood. Looking at prices now

Yep, just sitting on top. I left a narrow patch down the middle so the light would never fall through.

I thought about cutting a hole in my jbj hood, but I know I will upgrade someday and I wanted to be able to resell it.

Ftfunnative said:
Yep, just sitting on top. I left a narrow patch down the middle so the light would never fall through.

I thought about cutting a hole in my jbj hood, but I know I will upgrade someday and I wanted to be able to resell it.

Ok thanks. Keep going back and forth with the sol or an led strips for about 150 cheaper. But the sol I can put on a different tank so that's a plus.

So here is the finished project. The light is amazing and the corals are already responding well. This is my first LED light so I have nothing to compare it to, but I highly recommend one.

image-1054247939.jpg

image-880818868.jpg

image-293312764.jpg

image-1991757464.jpg

image-4063183807.jpg

That looks awesome. I wish I had the talent to do that lol. Was it expensive for the material and what kinda tank is that

Very VERY well done! This looks so good! Would've maybe used a router to finish the edges of the top piece though, so its all flush, but that's just me... :hide: haha looks store bought, great job!

Hey there, your LED setup looks great, as others have rightly said! I'm in a similar situation as you: I got a 28-gallon CF Quad a few months ago, and it's my first saltwater tank. I was wondering if you noticed a big improvement in your corals' health after switching to your LEDs. I had a frogspawn in the tank (my first hard coral) up until a few weeks ago, and it unfortunately didn't make it, and people are telling me a big factor might be that the power compact lighting wasn't bright enough. Do you think your corals are happier with your new LED hood?

Thanks in advance—I'm reading your other threads, and sort of following in your footsteps in getting my tank going! :)

Hey there. I don't want to make you spend you spend more money than you need too, but I did notice a huge change with all my corals. With that being said, I had success with the stock lights, just not at this pace. The AI LEDs have been amazing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ftfunnative said:
Hey there. I don't want to make you spend you spend more money than you need too, but I did notice a huge change with all my corals. With that being said, I had success with the stock lights, just not at this pace. The AI LEDs have been amazing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Same with me. I have the cf quad, and the corals are ok but the growth rate is slow. So i purchased a diy kit from rapid led (24 led) and gutted out my hood.

Back
Top Bottom