My new mystery snails!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got 3 new mystery snails from the petco!!

Attachments

• image-3643015085.jpg
    image-3643015085.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-4206322951.jpg
    image-4206322951.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2951610650.jpg
    image-2951610650.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 110
Nice, I hope you have many days with less algae in your tank! :)

I sure hope so! Will they mate in my tank with no help or any extra attention?

I read that they should just breed without help, although these little guys are separate genders so if you have 3 males and no females it wont work of course. Some lay (most I think) their eggs above water level.

Ok but I think 2 of them are already mating hahaha because one is up and crawling all around the other and has been for a couple hours

redsea said:
Nice new additions. It's always nice to see lots of algae missing!

I love mystery snails! You just gotta make sure they're alive when you leave the store, my lfs sold me a few dead ones. :(

Yep they are doing awesome and I think they mated already and I got them I think 24 hours ago

Will the snails be ok eating algae wafers all the time and left over shrimp pellets every once in a while or should there be a new food

Will the snails be ok eating algae wafers all the time and left over shrimp pellets every once in a while or should there be a new food
Congrats on the snails! I have a total of 5 mystery snails and I love them. I was sold a dead snail one. Live and learn.
They will do better if you vary their diet a little bit. Put in a few more shrimp pellets so they get some. They will eat the wafers too. YOu can also put in some veggies for them. In general, yes, they should do fine on a primary diet of algae wafers, but do give them some other things too.
If they are different genders, they will mate. They actually lay their eggs up above the water line in the tank.

Are there any bad veggies or will anything work
I do not know of any bad veggies for snails. If people can eat it, snails can eat it (as long as its not salted. :lol:). Most people stick with cucumbers or zucchini but carrots, green beans and otyhers would work too. Your life will be easier if you pick something big enough to easily weigh down (not corn or peas).:)

Okay then so obviously rinse it and drop it in?
I blanch mine usually. Just boil it and then drop it in ice water. The snails are capable of eating it raw, but they find it faster IME and eat more of it IME if you blanch it.
They will also eat lettuce. That is cheap, easy to weigh down, and you don't have to blanch it!

What do people know about/recommend for a starter snail and cuttlebone?
YOu will get mopre people to answer if you start your own thread. In the forums section, click on getting started, and scroll to the bottom where you will see a buttom for a new thread. Use that. You will get more answers on your own thread and thus get better help. :)

Mine do well with no specific supplements just for them. I guess they feed off whatever leftover food they kuhlis miss. All I know is they have grown since I got them, so the environment must be good. (y)

Me and my daughter just purchased one a month ago and it's twice the size it was when we bout it. Here's a pik,think we gonna get 2 more because I want them to have babies that I can add to my tank

Attachments

• image-1036739048.jpg
    image-1036739048.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom