My new Nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently acquired a top fin 5.5 gallon starter kit and decided to set up a nano tank. The top fin kit includes the tank, a top fin 10 filter, a top, a 3 led light, a net and water test vial for taking samples to the pet store (which I don't need but hey it comes in the box so I listed it).

The dimensions are 16.5" long by 10.5" wide by 11" high. The filter seems adequate for now. I added an aqueon 10 watt heater and some gravel I had. I plan to replace it with eco complete but I kind of like the gravel. The tanks cycle was jump started with seeded media and it currently contains two small harlequin rasboras. I'm still unsure what final stock will be. If four or five harlequins and some shrimp can live here then I'll add those and call it a day, however I think the harlequins may get too big. A single male guppy and shrimp is a possibility.

The current flora consists of Anubias Nana, wysteria, and two java ferns. I'm posting the most recent picture I currently have but once the lights are on I'll get a new shot to show my progress. First pic is the night I set it up, following pic was the night I added the rasboras, will upload the new pic by tonight.

Attachments

• 1429105479455.jpg
    1429105479455.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 1429105510135.jpg
    1429105510135.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 160
Bought this tank as well. Mine has 5 Pygmy spotted rasbora, a betta, and about 8 cherry shrimp

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Looks good man. Is that Anubias planted? Make sure the rhizome isn't planted.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Serena- yeah its a perfect nano size, large enough for a few small fish but small enough to fit anywhere. I cringe when I see fish in the under 2 gallon nanos.

Nils- that is a great suggestion.

Caleb-yeah the anubias was initially planted then I read about them. Its currently being held down by a rock with the rhizome above the substrate.

Overall thanks a lot for the interest guys, I think everyone will be surprised by the progress in the update I'll post later tonight, its came a long way already.

And here is how the tank sits now, I put a black background behind it and added some rock. This was actual river rock from a mountain stream near me. I'm thinking a small piece of driftwood would really accent it.

Attachments

• 1429145948341.jpg
    1429145948341.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1429145966430.jpg
    1429145966430.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 145
Looks great! Some tall plants that grow bushy would make this tank look great!

Nils

Looks nice!

Have you been thinking about stock? Badis would definitely appreciate more plants. They're one of my favorite fish but not something to get if you want to see a lot of activity in the tank.

Added six ghost shrimp today from Petco. Almost brought home a guppy but decided to wait. Did a 50% pwc earlier today before adding shrimp.

Attachments

• 1429234972124.jpg
    1429234972124.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 1429235291453.jpg
    1429235291453.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 125
Here is an updated FTS, got some more rock in. All 6 shrimp are alive 24 hours later which shatters my best previous record with Petco shrimp. The rock work is basically finished, just waiting to be able to add more plants. The stock lighting on this kit is nowhere near capable of sufficient plant growth, I placed an order for one of the 9" finnex stingrays tonight. I'm considering ordering a second and overlapping them. Once it arrives I'll add some taller plants and get this scape finished and work on final stocking.

I'm unsure if the harlequins will work long term, I've never seen them full grown, maybe someone experienced with them could comment? They're currently around 1" which is as big as I've seen them.

Potential stocking list would be:

4 harlequin rasboras
1 male guppy
8 ghost shrimp
1 snail of some sort

Let me know thoughts on that stock.

Current stock is:

2 harlequin rasboras
6 ghost shrimp

Current fauna:
1 anubias Nana
2 java fern
1 wysteria

Some natural stream rocks and gravel as substrate, still just the top fin 10 for filtration, I'm also looking at mini canisters in the 100+ gph range.

All input is welcomed!

Attachments

• 1429321140572.jpg
    1429321140572.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 1429321158305.jpg
    1429321158305.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 128
The SunSun HW 603-B would be a good mini canister. I don't know if you were the guy who recommended that to me in the first place, but it looks like a good filter and I'll be using it for my 5.5 I saw this other mini canister called the Zoo Med Nano 10, but I don't know how good it is. Looks great so far!

Nils

Here is an updated FTS, got some more rock in. All 6 shrimp are alive 24 hours later which shatters my best previous record with Petco shrimp. The rock work is basically finished, just waiting to be able to add more plants. The stock lighting on this kit is nowhere near capable of sufficient plant growth, I placed an order for one of the 9" finnex stingrays tonight. I'm considering ordering a second and overlapping them. Once it arrives I'll add some taller plants and get this scape finished and work on final stocking.

I'm unsure if the harlequins will work long term, I've never seen them full grown, maybe someone experienced with them could comment? They're currently around 1" which is as big as I've seen them.

Potential stocking list would be:

4 harlequin rasboras
1 male guppy
8 ghost shrimp
1 snail of some sort

Let me know thoughts on that stock.

Current stock is:

2 harlequin rasboras
6 ghost shrimp

Current fauna:
1 anubias Nana
2 java fern
1 wysteria

Some natural stream rocks and gravel as substrate, still just the top fin 10 for filtration, I'm also looking at mini canisters in the 100+ gph range.

All input is welcomed!

I have 8 lambchop rasboras in my five gallon, as far as I know, they are very similar to harlequins, only very slightly smaller. They don't seem to get very large. I got the first four when they were full grown, and the other four I got when they were just fry. The first four are about 1.2 inches long, and the younger ones are at most 0.75 inches long, they used to be half an inch. But I heard that harlequins might get up to 2 inches, so I suggest going with lambchops instead. They look pretty much exactly the same.

And maybe get more than four. I got the extra fry because with only four fish, they seemed pretty terrified to swim out in the open and were constantly huddled up against my Anubias nana. After I added more, they started swimming everywhere and even dared to steal food from my betta.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The plants have a grown a little bit. I'm waiting on my finnex stingray to arrive.

Attachments

• 1429584961398.jpg
    1429584961398.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 1429584985847.jpg
    1429584985847.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 1429585022656.jpg
    1429585022656.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 113
The plants have a grown a little bit. I'm waiting on my finnex stingray to arrive.

Good idea showing the anubias ryhzome was above the substrate,some have been "jumped" for less...to be safe wait until the all clear has been sounded..LOL!
Nice progression&you'll like the stingray...

sit in silence

Back
Top Bottom