My new (somewhat new) 90 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I bought a 90 gal tank off craigslist about a month ago and have finally finished the cycling. WOOHOO! the tank came with 100lbs of live rock, 3 powerheads, live sand, 35-40 gallon sump/refugium, 2 light systems, bioballs, etc. And the tank is predrilled with two holes and the top back of the tank. So far I have added a damsel- but have decided to take it back to the store in another few weeks. The tank now has 1 emerald crab, 12 banded snails, 3 nassarius snails, 2 peppermint shrimp ( to kill off my lovely aptasia), 1 sand sifting starfish, a lovely hitchhiker of a bristle worm, 1 flower pot, 1 leather cabbage and 1 hawiian feather duster. I have slowly been adding things as time goes.

Before I go retail therapy happy and add much more, I am planning on, in two weeks, buying LED lights for the tank, a better power head, and a protien skimmer.

So now I am at this point- is there anything I'm missing? I know I haven't listed what everything is on my tank as far as equipment goes- but that's because I really can't tell. Some of it is covered in growth, some just has no information.

My water levels are good. I check them at home, and take samples in to the store every two weeks as well (just in case... And not pet co or whatever large retailer. I'm a form believer in mom pop shops). I will try to post pics later tonight. There is just so much information on the web that my mind is spinning!!!

Ok. Took some pics. Sorry. But two of the corals were closed cause the lights have been off so it's not much to look at.

View attachment 51931

This is a general look at the tank.

View attachment 51934

View attachment 51933

View attachment 51932

Rock layout. Still some reminence of the diatom bloom. But the snails are doing an awsomr job cleaning up!

View attachment 51935

Back plumbing. All PVC pipe that leads to the refugium.

View attachment 51936

View attachment 51937

View attachment 51938

View attachment 51939

That guy was awsome to help out with the green algae!

View attachment 51940

My little slow pokes. Lol

That's pretty much it for now. Please help me. I would really like to know if I'm on the right track!

looks great! Being someone who bought a used aquarium, like what you got, it looks like you got a good tank. You could always add some more inverts to help the algae growth.

Looks good! I love my emerald crabs even when they arent eating algae, they do a little dance on the front of my glass. LOL

Yeah. I paid 225$ for everything. I couldn't pass it up. Especially since I was about to give up when I started adding up new costs. Lol. My two year old son picked out the emerald. He stands in front of my tank at night and tells everything "nite nite". It's cute. Since I got this tank, my husband has been all over craigslist trying to out do me and find a 200+ tank to make a FOWLR. He want rays and eels and sharks. I just told him good luck.

What other inverts should I add? I didn't want to over do it at first. I had some green algae and my emerald got all of it in under 24 hours. So I've been tube feeding him. My daughter loves it because he always try's to steal the tube. My peppermint shrimp killed all the aptasia in a week and have been coming out of hiding only at feeding time ( also fun to watch). I'm waiting on a delivery of Mexican turbos at the end of the week and then i was thinking of picking up about 5-10 to start. I was also wondering- is it too soon to add another type of starfish? What about an urchin?

Instead of a starfish what about another type of shrimp? Like a fire red or a cleaner or two? they are fascinating to watch as well.

That's an idea. Didn't think of that because the shrimp always play hide and seek. I have a lot of caves in my rock layout and I've learned to love their little antennas (cause thats all I pretty much ever see of them). That's why I was leaning towards a serpent starfish. I love how they move around. It's wicked. Lmao. What do you think about getting an urchin?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm used to FW and know all about those, but SW is uncharted territory.

A serpent would be good they are pretty neat especially if you spot feed them. I have one in my tank. I would steer clear of the regualr sand sifting starfish and others like them, they need an established tank to thrive.

Hmmm. The guy at the store reccomended the sand sifting starfish so I picked him up today. Now I'm wondering. Lol. Smh. I'll try to keep an eye on the little guy for a few days. He's cleaned up quite a bit so far. Does the serpent stay pretty visible? Or is he a hider? The ones at the store are always out an about- but not sure if that is cause people wanna see them.

Mine will find a rock to hung under and you can usually see his legs hanging down. not the most active in my tank thats for sure. lol

Btw- here is my fish wishlist...

Snowflake clowns
Horned blenny
Some spotted mandarin
Debating on tangs
Achilies tang
Orange spined tang
Blue tang
Clown tang
Powder brown tang
Yellow belly blue regal
Scooter blenny
Fairy wrasse (yeah. I know theres tons of them)
Leopard wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Pygmy wrasse
Dragon sea moth

It's not a completely concrete list yet. Still working on that. I plan on building my coral up a little bit first

Sorry for the bad news. But your tank is way to small to fit all those tangs. I would say mabey two tangs, depending on how big they get. Max.

Nice tank. I just set up my 90 as well. Most of those tangs get really big. I tried the Achilles 8 years ago and they are tough to keep. BUT if you do get one, show me some pictures!

Yeah. Lol. I'm not sure which tangs yet. the guy at the store said it was best to do two or three of different types (3 in total not of each). But I am leaning towards the Achilles

Lol. Thanks! Will post as I add more equipment and livestock. Quick update: after careful consideration, I have decided to name my hawiian feathduster after my husband. No matter how I place it- it does what it wants. For example, I have tried to place it anywhere in plain sight. But NOOOOOOOO. It has to make it's way back to the side and back of the tank with it's crown facing the back panel of the tank, sweetly tucked Into a rock. All I can see is its lovely tube butt. Lmao. Is this normal? I've read that they will go where they want to. Is there anyway to make him "choose" a spot that doesnt involve hiding???

Corals usually go where they're comfortable. This can be flow, lighting or any other variable. I doubt you have a anti-social feather duster, it's probably just looking around ;) try changing your powerhead setting or so, maybe it'll stay where you want it to

Ok. So my next questions...lol... What exactly should I stock up in my refugium. All I really have in there right now is 3 inches of sand and LR rubble. The guy at my mom and pop store said just some micro algae- and I trust him, but I want a secon opinion just in case. What types of micro algae, also, what about a mangrove (and when do those seeds drop from the trees? I live ten minutes from the Everglades so why pay?? Lmao). I do have a light fixture for my refugium so I could add snails, etc. And I run it at opposite times as my DT so to help with a balanced ph level (or so I have been told). What is best?

Back
Top Bottom