My new tank..Need idea's please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubyfox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked it up today, its new to me but it is second hand. The lady who I bought it from has got health issues and it was getting too much for her so she decided to sell it. I am so glad she did as it cost me £75 and it has just got a new pump/filter so I am really happy.
Now its so plain at the moment but I am really unsure what to decorate it like, what theme ect. Any suggestions please?
001.jpg

002.jpg

Has it got the juwel t5ho lights, if so you could do a nice planted tank : )

Hi there isnt anything on the bulbs :(.. I dont even thow where the switch is to turn it on lol

Just take the bulb out and take it to your LFS they will be able to tell you, I think the offer is still on on Juwel lights - buy one get one free, that tank is a bargain for £75 - I paid £410 for my Juwel Rio 240 a few months ago. The replacement sponges are dead cheap as well. You should also consider Juwel light reflectors, they just clip straight onto the bulb, really increase the light as well as stopping the lights blinding you when you open the hood.

Just take the bulb out and take it to your LFS they will be able to tell you, I think the offer is still on on Juwel lights - buy one get one free, that tank is a bargain for £75 - I paid £410 for my Juwel Rio 240 a few months ago. The replacement sponges are dead cheap as well. You should also consider Juwel light reflectors, they just clip straight onto the bulb, really increase the light as well as stopping the lights blinding you when you open the hood.

Ok thanks, well once I get them working I will see how bright ikt is, thanks for the tips aswell.;)

There should be a switch on the cable leading from the light unit, switch it once plugged in.

OOps I didnt do that and the tank is full now :facepalm:

What size is it ? Do you need stock ideas? :)

I am putting in my facies, just what decoration and background to use..I have just gone blank.:whistle:

It's just a lot of plants and some small schooling fish. the end result is little fish swimming through a maze of plants. fun:fish2:

I fancy lots of plants but one of my fantail is big so want as much space for it to swim around in. Just bought some artificial plants for at the front and thought of buying real tall ones for at the back? Not sure if fancies ruin a nice looking tank?:confused:

The planted community tank is tropical, as most aquatic plants are tropical, as well as most small schooling species. If you are adding goldfish the live plants are a no, since large goldfish will uproot plants and any goldfish will most likely nibble a lot on them. And goldfish need temperatures of <72 degrees farenheit which is lower than tropical tanks.
:fish2:Happy fishkeeping and Good Luck with the new tank:fish2:

So just keep to plastic ones, I have a root ornament already and a jade stone so might jst leave it as it is then :)

If you are sticking to a cold water tank you should get a small number of white cloud minnows or a weather loach, weather loach are crazy fish - not the prettiest fish in the tank, but guaranteed to make you laugh with there nutty activities.

I'd say white cloud mountain minnows are about the best coldwater fish out there. They look tropical, but live in coldwater and save you the $$ for the heater! The best way to jazz up a goldfish tank. Make sure it's not going to end up as a snack for the goldfish though.

Last edited:
If you are sticking to a cold water tank you should get a small number of white cloud minnows or a weather loach, weather loach are crazy fish - not the prettiest fish in the tank, but guaranteed to make you laugh with there nutty activities.
If you want a weather loach, it's good to know that they're also called dojo loaches, if you're looking for one. Same fish, different names. Like serpae and red minor tetras. same fish.:)

Back
Top Bottom