My new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

relisefishies8897

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting a fifty gal. fish tank I have a ten gal now and it contains...
1 Chinese algae eater
2 Bumblebee catfish:D
2 emerald corydoras
2 black tetras
3 Chinese mystery snails
and 1 ADF

I'm thinking of getting.....
6 panda corys
3 gold barbs
1-2 ADF's
3 cherry barbs
3 clown loaches
angels maybe
2 Dwarf gouramis

is there anything else I should or shouldn't get:confused::):invasion:

Welcome to AA!

Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? If not, I would recommend looking at this link: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Lets go on to the stocking of the new tank:

I would leave the Clown loaches out. They can grow up to 12 inches and need to be in schools of 6 or more. <- That being said, they need 100+ gallon tanks to house them.

I would recommend only getting 1 DG (They are like bettas; they will fight with their own kind until one is remaining), but If you can provide enough hiding spots (and I mean a bunch) to keep the line of site minimum, go ahead and try it. Just in case, always make sure to have a back-up plan.

I would just keep the ADF's in the 10 gallon; Make it a species only tank. Why I say this is because they might have a hard time competing for food (Slow eaters.)

Stick with one cory school, It will make it easier to stock the tank with more fish.

I would leave the angels out if I were you..

Get rid of the Chinese algae eater, They will turn very aggressive when adult (Very territorial and sometimes sucks on to other fish).

Bring up the Schools of Barbs and tetras if you do decide to get them, they all do best in groups of 6 or more.

If you do decide to get the mystery snails, Make sure to have configuring algae or algae supply (Wafers) to make sure they all get something to eat.

So, To a conclusion, do you like this?:

6 emerald corydoras (bottom area)
2 Bumblebee catfish (bottom area)
6-10 black tetras (Middle to top area)
1 Dwarf gourami (All over)
6-10 cherry barbs (Middle to bottom area)
2 mystery snail (all over)

Just a recommendation when it comes to stocking fish, Only add 1-3 fish at a time (then wait 2 more weeks to add more every time). This is so that the bio-load can catch up to new load.

tyspot1000 said:
Welcome to AA!

Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? If not, I would recommend looking at this link: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Lets go on to the stocking of the new tank:

I would leave the Clown loaches out. They can grow up to 12 inches and need to be in schools of 6 or more. <- That being said, they need 100+ gallon tanks to house them.

I would recommend only getting 1 DG (They are like bettas; they will fight with their own kind until one is remaining), but If you can provide enough hiding spots (and I mean a bunch) to keep the line of site minimum, go ahead and try it. Just in case, always make sure to have a back-up plan.

I would just keep the ADF's in the 10 gallon; Make it a species only tank. Why I say this is because they might have a hard time competing for food (Slow eaters.)

Stick with one cory school, It will make it easier to stock the tank with more fish.

I would leave the angels out if I were you..

Get rid of the Chinese algae eater, They will turn very aggressive when adult (Very territorial and sometimes sucks on to other fish).

Bring up the Schools of Barbs and tetras if you do decide to get them, they all do best in groups of 6 or more.

If you do decide to get the mystery snails, Make sure to have configuring algae or algae supply (Wafers) to make sure they all get something to eat.

So, To a conclusion, do you like this?:

6 emerald corydoras (bottom area)
2 Bumblebee catfish (bottom area)
6-10 black tetras (Middle to top area)
1 Dwarf gourami (All over)
6-10 cherry barbs (Middle to bottom area)
2 mystery snail (all over)

Just a recommendation when it comes to stocking fish, Only add 1-3 fish at a time (then wait 2 more weeks to add more every time). This is so that the bio-load can catch up to new load.

+1

thanks for the advice but just a few thoughts... I might get rid of the emeralds to get pandas and apparently there is a smaller variety of clowns and only 3 are necessary, a tank before this of my grandma's proved that not all algae eaters are aggressive, the ADFs I feed by hand so feeding isn't an issue (newer ones we use tweezers), the black tetras I only want 1-2 more, gold barbs eat snails so they are a must for me, cherries will give color (neons are to fragile but it depends) that I need, DGs are OK, and yes I will cycle and the thing about the ADF species tank is I would spend to much on more of everything. but thanks again. I will keep doing research based on location a lot of fish I can't get because to much travel wouldn't be good for them.

Getting rid of the Emeralds would be a good idea. Since they are one of the bigger cories (Get around 4 inches), they are going to put more bio-load on your filter. Just a side note about the pandas, they are more sensitive (Like neons), make sure to have a stable and well established aquarium before adding 'em.

There isn't a dwarf variety of clowns, but there is smaller species of loaches (For example: Khuli loaches, yoyo loaches, zebra loaches).

Your grandma is right about that not every algae eater is aggressive, but Im saying the Chinese algae eater to be specific. Like I said, the chinese algae eater is known to be aggressive/territorial towards other tank-mates when mature (Also suck onto flat-like fish), other sucker-fish do not (Like plecos, otocinclus,etc).

A pest snail problem shouldn't be a problem at all. The pest snails population depends on how much you 'feed' your tank. Any leftover food on the floor could possibly be eaten by the snails, making them reproduce. Even if your snail population does get out of hand, there is no need in buying fish; A Assassin snail should do the trick (Eats others pest snails).

thanks for the help just two more things. First, do you know any good places to get kuhlis? Second, an assassin snail is out of the question we have 1 large Chinese mystery and may get a black, the fact that the gold barbs eat snails is just a plus and one more reason to buy them. But about the algae eater would a Siamese be any better or what...?

Depends on what Kind of algae eater you get. The siamese algae eater is a great community algae eater (Also known as the Flying Fox or Siamese Fox). There is a similar looking species that you would have to look out for; The Garra taeniata akaEpalzeorhynchus sp, is sometimes sold as Siamese algae eater which have earned that species the common name False siamese algae eater.

Most siamese algae eaters you find (Or sold) in the united states are infact siamese algae eaters. Most shipments of siamese algae eaters are a mix of both Siamese algae eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) and The False siamese algae eater (Garra taeniata) <- Since both look very similar, they school in the wild. When most people catch them, it will be a mix.

Avoid keeping the Siamese algae eater (Not false) with long finned fish as they might bite the fins on long finned fish, but overall they are good community fish. The False Siamese algae eater is not as good an algae eater as the true one and more importantly is more aggressive towards other fish species than the Siamese algae eater.

Really, I would just stay away from getting one. It is going to be really confusing trying to identify which is which. I would just really a algae eater like a bristlenose pleco; Great algae eater.

Back
Top Bottom