my new vampire shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So far seems pretty happy. Decided finley crushed algea tabs was the best choice for food for now. His name is charlie sheen, because he is a boss :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110708_013737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_013737.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 372
  • ForumRunner_20110708_013758.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_013758.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 369
  • ForumRunner_20110708_013823.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_013823.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 384
  • ForumRunner_20110708_013936.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_013936.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 385
  • ForumRunner_20110708_014012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_014012.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 386
Ewww I can't believe you're touching it! So gross...lol

Charlie Sheen? Really? *scoff*

;)

Oh that shrimp is awesome and rare. I've seen most shrimp around my area, but I have not seen a live vampire shrimp. How big is the tank, how big is the shrimp, and what other live animals is in with the shrimp?

Lol thanks siva, ill keep updating, (lost phone, new phone, broke new phone, now another new phone, so sorry haha)I'm planning on doing some liquid invert food, since powdered food is makin my water muggy :( . So far he's established his territory in and around the cave. He did eat a frozen bloodworm (hikari) and also will redily grab flakes out of my water, and havnt seen him grab from the floor yet (except bloodworm, he used smaller claw thingys to snatch those lol). I also read they will eat dead fish, and don't neccisarily rely on just filtering. Its basically a very friendly crayfish, I love him very much. He's being kept with neon tetras, a betta, a bn pleco, 2 mystery snails, and some mts that snuck into my tank. Also I recently added 2 kuhli loaches. The tank is 10 gal, and I'm moving him to our new future big tank (55 gal, just gota move to new place and itl be set up :) )

that thing is awesome,love the pic where your holding him

Omg he HATED that! Lol. I never get a chance to see him, everytime I open to door to my room, he dissapears. I also recently read that they will cover themselves in sand when not feeding, so I may increase my sand depth but another half inch or so :) cuz that be cool

Lol thanks siva, ill keep updating, (lost phone, new phone, broke new phone, now another new phone, so sorry haha)I'm planning on doing some liquid invert food, since powdered food is makin my water muggy :( . So far he's established his territory in and around the cave. He did eat a frozen bloodworm (hikari) and also will redily grab flakes out of my water, and havnt seen him grab from the floor yet (except bloodworm, he used smaller claw thingys to snatch those lol). I also read they will eat dead fish, and don't neccisarily rely on just filtering. Its basically a very friendly crayfish, I love him very much. He's being kept with neon tetras, a betta, a bn pleco, 2 mystery snails, and some mts that snuck into my tank. Also I recently added 2 kuhli loaches. The tank is 10 gal, and I'm moving him to our new future big tank (55 gal, just gota move to new place and itl be set up :) )

Well I'd have to say you have very good taste, considering my bamboo's are with a betta, kuhli loaches, pitbull plecos, mystery snails, and glowlight tetras. Pretty similar stocking... (y)

So at this point you've pretty much convinced me to pick one up. LOL I'm going back to the lfs that sells them in a few days. We'll see if they still have one. :brows:

Hopefully they will :) there not as picky as I had thought, seeing and reading that they will eat bloodworms, and other sinking foods they pick up with mini claws. I'm sure you will have zero trouble, seeing as bamboo apparently are harder to keep happy. Keep us posted siva :)

That isn't a shrimp. It's a rejected monster from a Godzilla flick...horrifying. I can't believe you're holding it.

Hey I have a question on tets. Will they schoo,l with others? Like I have 4 neons (one was missing, until we decided he was eatn. But if I put differnt tetras, like xray with neons, would they be happy?

Hey I have a question on tets. Will they schoo,l with others? Like I have 4 neons (one was missing, until we decided he was eatn. But if I put differnt tetras, like xray with neons, would they be happy?

It's a species to species thing. They might shoal during feeding time or when you scare them but they'll scatter most the time.

Oh, well I'll stick with neons then. I want everyone to be happy, and there isn't enough room for a second school in this tank :(

Omg so I looked forever to find charlie sheen (vampire shrimps official name) and couldn't find him. Apparently he had burrowed under my rock cave thing, and made a huge sand wall around it, it was very cool to find this, I guess he's finally got a happy home :)

That isn't a shrimp. It's a rejected monster from a Godzilla flick...horrifying. I can't believe you're holding it.
:agree: Yes it gave me goose bumps. When I had to come in close contact with one of my little bamboo's to transfer to it's new tank I let out a girly shriek of horror. They're gross...yet cool.

Man the lfs here off southbroadway had the FATTEST bamboo shrimp I've ever seem. They were reeealy big too. I almost feel like there more sketchy, these had wild patters and were practically invisible on the logs.

Back
Top Bottom