my nitrite levels are HIGH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yv1

Aquarium Advice Activist
8O help me

my nitrite levels are higher than the chart shows.....above plus 5

i did a 40% water change recently and added a bunch of new plants...

it IS a new tank but i have been running it for over 2 weeks. i expected a peak but not this severe...

is there anything i can do to lower the nitrite levels??? or should i wait this one out and keep adding stresszyme???

thanks any help would be appreciated :)

Just keep doing those water changes. Daily if you have to, just make sure to use plenty of conditioner "Stress- Coat, etc." with water changes. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to develop a bio-filter from scratch. The additives "Stress-Zyme, etc." help, but it is most important to have some good wet-dry going. Are you using a good bio-wheel filter, like an Emperor? As far as plants go, if they litter alot they can actually increase the bio-load. Although they should grow really well under the high nitrogen conditions. Also make sure you are not over feeding and keep the gravel well vacuumed. Heavy bio-loads will make the cycle take longer. Remember nitrite is poison. If you wait it out without helping, by regular water changes to keep the level within range (2.5 ppm or lower), your fish will suffer. On a good note the ammonia is turning to nitrite, so the bacteria are working on it.

I wouldn't do daily water changes as mentioned above...it can actually mess up the biological process with too frequent water changes in a new tank. Just do them weekly and wait it out. 4 to 6 weeks and you should be okay. After the tank has cycled, you can cut back your water changes to 20% weekly.

my ammonia has gone down a little bit...so thats a good sign. but the nitrites are out of control...

i was going to try that water softener pillow thing...

yay or nay??

It is normal for the nitrites to be high right now. In a new tank, first the Ammonia levels will peak...then they will recede and the nitrite levels will peak. The Nitrite levels will eventually go down, and then the nitrate levels will peak. It is the normal process of a new tank cycling. Just be patient and everything will be okay. I know it's tough, and you might lose a fish or two, but your patience now will be rewarded later with a healthy tank and it's inhabitants.

Whatever works. My parents came from the old school of aquariasts. The ones who believed in "old water". Every time they see me vacuum out a tank they say "OMG never take water out of your tanks, just top them off." Yeah, right, sure. I remember the green slimey tanks they had when I was a kid. The fish for the most part lived in that putridity. My point is most fish except for the real delicates will acclimate to thier environment. Personally, I think that any water changes less than 35% are a waste of time. You are not removing enough toxins to make a differance. Some nitrifying bacteria are removed with a water change, but for the most part, the bacteria congregate in and on porous surfaces, like the filter pad or the gravel or a bio-wheel, etc. Where as the toxins created in the nitrogen cycle are for the most part suspended in the water. So when you do a heavy water change you are increasing the ratio of nitrifying bacteria to toxins, helping the cycle. not hindering it. By the way, The easiest way to cycle a tank is to steal a biofilter from another tank. A used filter pad or sponge filter works as a good source for stealing a colony of nitrosomers. Of course you need to have an established tank to do this, or a friend that is in the hobby. Hopefully with the same power filter.

hmmmmm...

thanks for the help...everyone seems ot have different opinions.

i can try the bio wheel from my 12 gallon, but what do i do with it?? just throw it in the filter somewhere??

my 12 gallon is sold this week so i should get that ging asap...

suggestions?? should i just let it float around in the tank? :)

heres a REALLY BAD picture of my tank now...keep in mind its new so my setup is kind of dodgy...

im moving in a few months to a new place so i wasnt looking to make it pretty until i move. :) ill probably just end up cycling all over again when i move......*sigh* oh and yes, it will be on a proper stand at the new place.

40gallon2.jpg

If the biowheel has dried out, the nitrosomers are dead. If not, take the whole filter and put it on the new tank. You did say your selling the 12 gal. Use the bio-colonies in the used filter while you have them. It should give your new tank a really good head start. Especially if you use the old filter along with the one your going to leave on the tank. Some of the bacteria will transfer through the water into the filter pad of the new set up.

I personally would recommend the water softener pillow- worked AWESOME for me. I waited almost 5 weeks for my nitrates to go down, but they were way past 5.0 ppm. I was feeding little amounts every other day and doing 30% water changes 2x a week. Nothing worked. Finally, some kid suggested the water softener pillow for 48 hours, I tried it skeptically and it worked!! my nitrites have been gone for over a month. After that, my water was the clearest ever :)

emorrison33 said:
I wouldn't do daily water changes as mentioned above...it can actually mess up the biological process with too frequent water changes in a new tank.

I have to, after some thought, disagree with the above statement. While doing a water change may remove a small amount of the nitrifying bacteria, I don't think it is enough to make a difference. It will remove some of the ammonia/nitrite which is, I think, the basis for the theory that the cycle will be lengthend. I think that the bacteria will reproduce at their maximum rate until their food supply (ammonia/nitrite) isn't sufficient to sustain further growth. I would suggest doing the water changes to keep the nitrites under control rather than letting it go and losing some fish. JMHO.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom