my oscar is acting weird and somehow got a scratch on his head and has cloudy eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toke_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My oscar is trying to eat the temperature thing in my tank and hes been making harsh movements and he somehow got a scar on his head. the first day i saw it it was like fresh torn flesh but it wasnt too bad so i put stress coat to repair the skin and now when i was feeding him i noticed a kinda cloudy white stuff on his eye, idk if it could be a fungus or he run into something please help!

It's hard to tell but he doesn't look like he's doing too badly, so I wouldn't medicate. I would do a few extra 50% water changes per week and see if his condition improves.

Cloudy eyes is normally a symptom of a low PH level so I'd test that.

These and the other fish are 1 blood parrot and 5 tiger barbs

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120808_223310.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120808_223310.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 141
Hm. Well, see what it does. I would also test the pH. The medication doesn't look like it will negatively impact your other fish, so I think it will be OK.

Sounds good. I would recommend getting the API test kit though, they are much more accurate than strips. But for right now a test strip will be better than nothing. Good luck.

-bud

Great! The official name is the API freshwater master test kit. I recommend getting it off of amazon. Even with the price of shipping, it ends up being 6-7 dollars less than the price at most stores.

i just tested my tank and the nitrates are really high , like around 80 and the strip says unsafe, other than that the nitrite is alittle high not too bad and the ph is on the acidic side. Could it have to do with the medication i put? & the white stuff on my oscars eyes is gone !

toke_ said:
i just tested my tank and the nitrates are really high , like around 80 and the strip says unsafe, other than that the nitrite is alittle high not too bad and the ph is on the acidic side. Could it have to do with the medication i put? & the white stuff on my oscars eyes is gone !

You need a big wc like 75-80%. Your not suppose to have any nitrites. How long has this tank supposedly been cycled?

toke_ said:
my tank has been set up for about 6 months. and when i do such a big water change do i keep the fish in?

I did a 80-90% water change then filled it up and did a 50% water change with my oscar still in. i used Prime of course. Oscars are pretty hardy and resiliant fish but you might want to take the blood parott and barbs out. You must use Prime, however i have found that i can get away with doing about a 30% pwc with only slight signs of stress in my community tank.

toke_ said:
my tank has been set up for about 6 months. and when i do such a big water change do i keep the fish in?

I always do, I think it'll stress them out more if you try catching and taking them out, than leaving them in.

okay so i finished with the 80% water change and the nitrate went down to about 10, so i guess ill do another smaller wc tomorrow . also i noticed my alkilinity is on the low side what could i do to bring it up?

Back
Top Bottom