My Pandora under the sea.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chino1130

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm Brian and I live in CT. I got into aquariums while looking for a way to change my room up a bit. What was suppose to be a small project turned into an obsession. Enjoy.

34335_10150229581105111_515190110_13249991_1537548_n.jpg

34643_10150229580990111_515190110_13249982_7755671_n.jpg

34229_10150231982510111_515190110_13311182_1360145_n.jpg

155483_10150342312205111_515190110_15805477_3397051_n.jpg

*upgraded*

day2t.jpg

img3597.jpg

img3605n.jpg

img3607zg.jpg

All the color is generated with two black lights, six inches a piece I believe. Nine of the plants are glow in the dark, so the black lights really make them pop. All the other ones just happen to react to black light by chance. I bought dozens of plants and tested them under the lights. Some would glow really nice, some wouldn't do anything. The ones that didn't glow, didn't make it into the tank. The planets I got off a website that sells the glow in the dark star kits. I also bought a bag of glow in the dark gravel that really brings out the floor of the tank, and looks like moss on top of the cave. I have nine glow fish in there as well (3 orange, 3 red, 3 green), they stand out really well. You can't really see them in the pics because of the long exposure time on the camera. I think I had it set for 4.5 seconds, they couldn't sit still that long. My overall goal with this tank was to recreate the overall feel of Pandora at night, you know, from Avatar. It ended up coming out better than I ever thought it would, couldn't be happier with it.

That is amazing, I'm incredibly impressed. I like seeing themed tanks, but I don't think I've ever seen one done like this, something from a movie. It's a very unique and interesting tank. Good job.

Tank looks great! i love how it looks with the black lights on!!!

That is really cool! I've always wanted to do a small theme tank w/ black lights. I would have never even considered a movie as the theme. The "Avatar" movie was an excellent choice too since it goes well w/ the glow-in-the-dark decor. Nicely done! (y)

You know, I normally greatly dislike "unnatural" tanks, but wow...that is a spectacular sight. Very creative!

You know, I normally greatly dislike "unnatural" tanks, but wow...that is a spectacular sight. Very creative!

Right with ya. Most of the time, I really don't like without live plants, rocks or wood; but this tank is something else. I am VERY impressed.

Right with ya. Most of the time, I really don't like tanks without live plants, rocks or wood; but this tank is something else. I am VERY impressed.

Thats a neat set up! What web site did you order the glow in the dark plants? Great imagination man I'm impressed!

I really don't want to be a downer, because it's cool and everything.. But are the plastic figures aquarium-safe?

Thats a neat set up! What web site did you order the glow in the dark plants? Great imagination man I'm impressed!

All the plants are from a local PetsMart. They aren't all glow in the dark though, some just happen to respond to black light. I bought a dozen or so non glow in the dark plants, and I think only 5 of them did anything under black light.

I really don't want to be a downer, because it's cool and everything.. But are the plastic figures aquarium-safe?
I'm going to be honest, I have no idea. When I got them I cleaned the **** out of them and did everything I could to make me comfortable with putting them in the tank. Some of the fish have been in a tank with those figures for a good 9 months now and are still going strong, so I am assuming they are safe.

Right with ya. Most of the time, I really don't like without live plants, rocks or wood; but this tank is something else. I am VERY impressed.
Thanks. I posted these pics on several aquarium forums, I thought I would get a lot of hate for it being so artificial, but I don't think I have gotten one negative response. I appreciate that.

Both the fish and the figures are made in China so they contain the same chemicals :eyes:

Roffle!

Great job on putting the effort into making something beautiful! Too many 'natural' tanks. Tank raised fish arent too picky ;p

Gillie said:
Both the fish and the figures are made in China so they contain the same chemicals :eyes:

Love it!!

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom