My planted 29g journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I thought pressurized co2 would take care of any algee but it seems like its exploding in my tank, I have 6 otos in there but it seems like a loosing battle

How long have you been running co2? Are your nitrates still below 5? That can cause issues. Also, what ferts are you using?

I dose flourish complete once a week and yes my trates are at 5 now but I thought I want them low, the co2 is one bubble per 2 seconds

Annakhil said:
I dose flourish complete once a week and yes my trates are at 5 now but I thought I want them low, the co2 is one bubble per 2 seconds

This confused the tar out if me for a long time. I was a saltwater guy for years before I ever tried freshwater so.. lol Plants actually need nitrates to grow well. 10-20ppm is much better for plants than 5ppm. It actually a fert.

Now as for ferts, once a week dosing is okay without co2 but once you have co2 going you'll want to dose more often, preferably every day. Plants will outgrow algae as long as they have the components they need to build new plant matter. If anything is in short supply the plant will stop growing and algae will take hold. With plants you want to look at your tank in terms of limiting factors or what may be in short supply for your plants. You have bright lights so light isn't limited. You have pressurized co2 so that should be fine as long as your drop checker is green from the time your lights turn on. You'll want nutrients in the substrate so root nutrients aren't limited, and fertilizers in the water so column feeding plants aren't limited.

There are more knowledgable people on here and some good articles and stickies to read about this. Algae will sometimes come up, especially in newer systems. Even experienced people have to fight it from time to time. Anytime you add some new element, like new lights, a new filter, a school of fish, different ferts, whatever... it seems like algae rears it's ugly head. *sigh* once you find the right balance of light schedule, feet dosing, co2 level and water change regimen it should get much better for you.

CorallineAlgae said:
This confused the tar out if me for a long time. I was a saltwater guy for years before I ever tried freshwater so.. lol Plants actually need nitrates to grow well. 10-20ppm is much better for plants than 5ppm. It actually a fert.

Now as for ferts, once a week dosing is okay without co2 but once you have co2 going you'll want to dose more often, preferably every day. Plants will outgrow algae as long as they have the components they need to build new plant matter. If anything is in short supply the plant will stop growing and algae will take hold. With plants you want to look at your tank in terms of limiting factors or what may be in short supply for your plants. You have bright lights so light isn't limited. You have pressurized co2 so that should be fine as long as your drop checker is green from the time your lights turn on. You'll want nutrients in the substrate so root nutrients aren't limited, and fertilizers in the water so column feeding plants aren't limited.

There are more knowledgable people on here and some good articles and stickies to read about this. Algae will sometimes come up, especially in newer systems. Even experienced people have to fight it from time to time. Anytime you add some new element, like new lights, a new filter, a school of fish, different ferts, whatever... it seems like algae rears it's ugly head. *sigh* once you find the right balance of light schedule, feet dosing, co2 level and water change regimen it should get much better for you.

Seriously thank you!!! No one has broke it down like that to me. I will start dosing daily and fogey some root tabs, only question I have is if I have a carpet of hc how do I put root tabs in after it fills in ?

Annakhil said:
Seriously thank you!!! No one has broke it down like that to me. I will start dosing daily and fogey some root tabs, only question I have is if I have a carpet of hc how do I put root tabs in after it fills in ?

I'm glad that helped! Just remember to use a smaller dose when you go daily, at least at first.

Root tabs only need to be put in once or twice a year so it's not so bad if you have to disturb the plants since it's so infrequent. Just make a tiny space (hole) with your finger and that should be just enough to get the tabs in. Try to get em deep (just push straight down with your finger). HC sometimes uproots a bit so if you can compel them to root deep by getting the tabs 4" down it may help.

going to add more moss this weekend, but my list goes like this as far as inhabitants
10 cardinals
6 cheery barbs
6otos
4 rummynose
2angels(planing on trading an angel for an albino BN)
i keep thinking its over stocked but every person i talk to says because of all the plants its should be fine what do yall think?

So I re-tanked two otos and an angel, just ordered my Milwaukee regulator just have to find a co2 dealer near me,before I buy a tank, insight be able to buy a used one from them for cheap.

Annakhil said:
So I re-tanked two otos and an angel, just ordered my Milwaukee regulator just have to find a co2 dealer near me,before I buy a tank, insight be able to buy a used one from them for cheap.

Sounds great. Your fish list is fine except maybe the angel. I've never had them in anything under a 55 but other people may have different experiences.

I kept 2 angels in my 20g for 5 years until I had to close the aquarium to move. They were relocated to my mothers 55g.

I have read your post trying to gather as much info about growing plants as possible. The only input I have is that my Angels enjoyed snacking on my tetras during the night, maybe you will have a different experience with your plants, hindsight is 20-20 and I probably should have added hiding places

Thanks for sharing your experiences it has given me some new insight

Glad to help out! We've all had a couple of fish mishaps. I had a bumblebee catfish that was wonderful for eight years and one day he decided to just eat every fish in the tank. He gobbled up everything from rasboras to glowlight tetras all the way to my last cory before he choked to death on the poor thing. I even tried to catch him on a tiny hook and line to save my fish. My tank was far to heavily planted to net him. Eight years of peace and then... Hannibal Lecter.

Holy Toledo that is crazy. I hope that doesn't happen with this last Angel. Especially not in front of my son... Glad any info was helpful! I learn soooo much just by reading other people's threads

I just have to say sometimes I hate typing on my iPad or iPhone just because of it comes out when I'm typing, almost like I'm drunk with cutoff word or different ones all together!

Oh I have the same experience using my iPad as well.

As far as your son seeing the fish getting a smaller one is not as bad as it sounds, my parents kept a red eared turtle and we were able to feed it feeder goldfish at Christmas, my son experienced the angel getting a tetra and oh of course slammed us with questions but was not overly upset by the experience. It just sparked his curiosity he was about 3 at the time, now 6 and tells our 2 year old everything he knows lol

Coralline though I would be upset if that happened and my fish was eating all the others, I found the zebra Daniels were big enough not to become midnight snacks. I am sorry you had that experience. My parents were very to the point with us and told us that if fish a is bigger than fish b he will eat him.

You know all angels are different. I've had them since the early 80's and I've seen alot of different personalities in them. I had 10 in my 220g and recently added the last 3 adults I had in another tank. My tank is very heavily planted with alot of small fish and a ton of ghost shrimp. All the angels except one of the three I just added doesn't even look at the ghost shrimp who come out even in the open spaces. Big blackie is a male and he is the only one who I know would eat a fry or tiny shrimp if he could catch them. Having alot of plants helps with smaller fish and angels. And many angels, even large adults, don't ever become small fish eaters.

Oh that is excellent I love Angels they are very attractive and easy to watch, I have to get our tank planted and growing well before I add anymore fish
Annakhil hopeful yours isn't a snacker :)

I traded the koi angel for two baby angels not sure what kind since it was getting too large for my 29 I could tell the other fish were getting a bit intimidated. Here is some new pics of the tank and my new angels, I tried to get some of the cories but the rummynose tetras kept getting to get in the pics.

image-2425863271.jpg

image-221153524.jpg

image-4244819600.jpg

image-709321311.jpg

image-2432327369.jpg

image-1119317333.jpg

You can tell the crypts have skyrocketed but the hc isn't growing as fast as I thought so I'm looking into maybe finding some downoi to replace it. The only problem is I can't find it anywhere, if anyone knows I'm ready to buy!

Back
Top Bottom