My Planted Tank on the Balcony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been wanting to use natural sunlight with a planted tank for some time now and I've finally gotten around to putting things in motion. I was inspired by a Spanish gentleman's tank (I can't remember his name but will post references when I can find them).

I've moved my 30G long tank with ADA Aquasoil to a stand on my balcony that allows it take full advantage of the southern exposure I've got. I know it's early in the year (late February/early March) to put a tank outside in Colorado, but I've got two heavy-duty Ebo-Jager heaters keeping it warm. Even at 20 degrees F outside, the tank remains above 50 degrees F. I am not planning on stocking it with fish due to the likely temperature variances. It is currently only stocked with hardy plants to test it out.

I am injecting CO2 and currently only running a QuickFilter on the tank. If more filtration becomes necessary, I will add it. Here are the pics of the setup. More will follow as things progress :)

The CO2 feed coming off of my three-way manifold that goes out to the tank:

New_01_x800.jpg

The small hole in the wall for the CO2 that my landlord probably wouldn't be happy about:

New_02_x800.jpg

The exterior hole for the CO2:

New_03_x800.jpg

A shot of the diffuser pumping away :) :

New_04_x800.jpg

The tank on the day I set it up. A bit cloudy with debris:

Balcony_Tank_240207_x800.jpg

The tank tonight, during a snow storm here in Englewood. It has cleared up nicely and I haven't noticed any algae issues at all in the five days it has been up and running. Note the snow on the wood sticking out of the top of the tank :lol: :

Balcony_Tank_280207_x800.jpg

Very cool, it will indeed be very interesting to watch this one. Your neighbours must be wondering what the heck your doing!

I was going to suggest that you add some foam insulation - but that would block the light.

Do you have to pay the electricity at your place? 8O 8O

Looks like a fun project :D

Cool stuff, Travis! That is thinking outside of the box, for sure.
I dont think you could do this here though... when it Minus 30C, LOL

Hey BTW, how is the nitrate tester doing? I am really fed up with my test kit,
between different shades of pink, it's really hard to tell where I'm at...
seriously considering getting one such tester.

Very nicely done...thisone should be fun to see as spring and summer pass ;-)

Have you considered using polypropylene tubing for the CO2, as silicone tubing may have low temerature issues. Not to mention it is not so hardy to UV exposure.

I would add a glass top. It will keep a significant amount of heat in and have minimal effect on the amount of sun you get.

I would like to come worship your outdoor tank.

(glass top = good idea. Sucks I wasn't the one to think of it. And then again, it wouldn't look nearly as cool as snow on driftwood sticking out of the top of the tank.)

MyCatsDrool said:
I would like to come worship your outdoor tank.

(glass top = good idea. Sucks I wasn't the one to think of it. And then again, it wouldn't look nearly as cool as snow on driftwood sticking out of the top of the tank.)
:lol:

That is some cutting-edge aquaristing...aquariuming....tanking....WHATEVER that you're doing there. COOL!!

An t-iasg said:
Interesting!

Is that a faint view of the mountains that I see in the background? :)

Yes, in the faint distance you might see some peaks :)

Yes, it is covered. No, I am not protecting any of the species that are currently in the tank. So far, so good. An experiment.

Oh, and I didn't have enough polypropolyne. I'll get some later :)

Amazingly enough all of the plants I've put in the tank as test pilots are still alive and doing well. I've even got a colony of MTS that hitchhiked in on the Java fern and I find on the glass in the morning when water temps are ~50F! What the heck? I didn't think those guys would like anything less than 70F but they're cruising around the tank, even when it's as cold as a good beer. Tough little buggers :)

OK, here's an updated picture of the tank that I took today. It has been almost two weeks now and, amazingly enough, I'm not having any algae issues at all, although that may have a lot to do with the nighttime temps :p

Balcony_Tank_070307_x800.jpg

I see great potential in you, young jedi. The force is strong with you. The Dark Side is strong, my young padewan.

I gotta say that is the coolest thign I've seen, almost as cool as when I knocked a giant hoel in the wall whiel my parents where gone and installed a 29 gallon in my closest so it could be seen in the computer room, lets just say that didn't go to well, actually started a huge fight on here and I almost go tkicke doff the site, but great looking tank, nice home to!!!

You know, white cloud minnows live in temperatures of 42 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. :)

Quite a cool concept.. (literally).

I can just picture you working on the scape w/ a wetsuit on to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom