my planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all. I have 2 tanks that i have live plants in, and i had a few questions about them, and wanted to know how they look, as well as get some advice from experts. In my first 15gal tank, i have 1 20W light (original with tank)- and it has a few different types of plants. I have a set up a DIY co2 system, with ladder diffuser and it has been running for about a week. I dose flourish excel and comprehensive once a week as well. I noticed my water sprite isn't growing like a weed, which i have seen in the past. I have one planted, and the other floating, and i see the lack of growth in both plants (which you can see in attached pictures). I also have 1 anubias hastifolia, however it has started to brown near the tips, which you can also see. What does this mean and what i can i do to reverse it? All theses plants have been only planted in the tank for about a month. Lastly, how does the overall tank look?

The second tank is a 33 gal tank, with 1 39W T5 light. It has diy co2 as well, however the diffusion method is a cheap underwater filter which chops the bubbles very very small. I also dose with excel and comprehensive once a week as well. I have 2 crypts in the back, and i notice their leaves are curling a little bit, they also have a bit of algae on them, but I'm hoping the co2 will slowly take care of that. You can see i have a banana plant in front, and it seems to be doing well, as it started with only 2 leaves, and now has 6 or 7. on the left i added some taller long stemmed plant, although I'm not really sure what it is. How does the tank look? and what can i do to improve the health and look of my plants.
Thanks if you read this far and please comment as it really helps since i don't know a ton about plants and keeping the healthy. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 49
At least some of the plants in the larger tank appear to be non aquatic and won't survive long term submerged.

Dosing glutaraldehyde (excel) once a week is not going to help much. It has to be dosed every day or every other day to be effective, as it disassociates rather quickly once added.

What are your nitrates testing at in each of the tanks?

How much comprehensive are you dosing?

What is your lighting schedule for each tank?

What is your CO2 concentration measuring at since starting the DIY systems?

At least some of the plants in the larger tank appear to be non aquatic and won't survive long term submerged.

Dosing glutaraldehyde (excel) once a week is not going to help much. It has to be dosed every day or every other day to be effective, as it disassociates rather quickly once added.

What are your nitrates testing at in each of the tanks?

How much comprehensive are you dosing?

What is your lighting schedule for each tank?

What is your CO2 concentration measuring at since starting the DIY systems?

1. oh no! what plants look non-aquatic to you? i was unaware i had any at all haha

2. i did not know that about excel, i will begin a more frequent regiment for dosing it

3. in tank 1, the nitrates are: , and in tank 2 (larger tank), the nitrates are:

4. I am dosing just under 1 half capful every 30% water change (each week) for the larger tank, and half of that for the smaller tank, at the same time.

5. The lights are on for only 6 hours a day for each tank (i cut back in an attempt to stop algae outbreaks in both tanks, is this wrong?)

6. I have no idea how to measure the co2 concentrations :confused: sorry

thanks so much for helping me by the way, i real appreciate it

sorry, i forgot to include the nitrate levels. They are both the same, between 5 and 10 ppm- this seems really low? i did do about 50% wc on both tanks about 5 days ago, this was to get rid of some debris and make sure the water was clean.

patola_l said:
sorry, i forgot to include the nitrate levels. They are both the same, between 5 and 10 ppm- this seems really low? i did do about 50% wc on both tanks about 5 days ago, this was to get rid of some debris and make sure the water was clean.

For plants that is low.

Back
Top Bottom