My pond build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purchased a UV clarifier/pump combination and some fountain plumbing for it. Going to do a water bell on the shallow end and hopefully clear up the murky water with a 950 gph flow rate and I believe a 13W bulb. The pump is designed to be a pond pump and feed a waterfall or filter, so I expect good performance.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That sounds like a probable solution to the murky problem! You are making me want to dig a pond again, lol. It could be spring too. :lol:

I am missing my Koi I think. (no time to do a pond now though)

You will just need to post plenty of pics for me!

That sounds like a probable solution to the murky problem! You are making me want to dig a pond again, lol. It could be spring too. :lol:

I am missing my Koi I think. (no time to do a pond now though)

You will just need to post plenty of pics for me!

You could always do above ground with a rubber liner. It would just cost more and be a rectangle....

I know you've already got the UV unit, but you might also consider trying barley or barley extract. I used the latter one season and it has been clear ever since. Does nothing for string/hair algae but the single cell type is under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lost one of my male goldfish. I'm concerned there's a contagious disease, one more loss and it's medication time.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about losing your male. Food issues sometimes - too much food in the gut or not enough food. I hope it was nothing contagious.

As for me, I have my 125G preformed pond still and my trash can filter (lol) as well. But for just the reason of your fish loss, those are the things I don't have enough time for taking care and maintenance this season - a lack of personal time. Next year I think.

Our local petsmart just had the barley extract on clearance, not all stores have the same things on sale but you might at least check for a deal if you have one nearby.

Added a 950gph UV clarifier/pump combo.it has a bag on it and a fountain kit that I had to extend by about 18 inches. It's restricted though, so I'll pull it out and drill out the part that bottlenecks in the line down to 1/2" instead of 3/4" eventually.

Attachments

• 1460765936815.jpg
    1460765936815.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 79
Adjusted the bell to fit the pond and turned the valve open full blast

Attachments

• 1461006249147.jpg
    1461006249147.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 81
Well, I've made adjustments as things have clogged this summer, and the filter is currently shot. My goldfish spawned and I have at least 7-8 fingerlings!

I'm going to build a new filter with a 55 gallon barrel. Likely pressurized again, but with a significantly better sealing mechanism, access, and filter media.

Never a dull moment huh? But to get babies?!!?!!!!!? Wow!

Good luck with the new filter I am very interested to know all about it when you build it!!!

The main issue had been forming a seal with the plastic snap ring against a 2700gph pump, and the snap ring has been losing. A metal ring or screw on lid is required. I purchased the latter. Also, at 15 gallons, my filter does not contain nearly enough media to clear up the water. Hopefully the 55 with gravel and such will be sufficient.

Never a dull moment huh? But to get babies?!!?!!!!!? Wow!

Good luck with the new filter I am very interested to know all about it when you build it!!!

Yeah, I thought I had seen a fingerling last week, but then it was confirmed when I was feeding two days ago, and then a bunch of them came up.

The main issue had been forming a seal with the plastic snap ring against a 2700gph pump, and the snap ring has been losing. A metal ring or screw on lid is required. I purchased the latter. Also, at 15 gallons, my filter does not contain nearly enough media to clear up the water. Hopefully the 55 with gravel and such will be sufficient.

You should look into an open container or series of containers and let gravity drain the water back to the pond, provided there is enough "drop" to accomplish this. If you do multiple containers, the first one could be filled with pot scrubbers and act as a mechanical filter. Add a bulkhead fitting to the bottom for drainage and it will be easy to clean.
The downside with this approach is the space it takes up and the task of blending it into the landscape.

You should look into an open container or series of containers and let gravity drain the water back to the pond, provided there is enough "drop" to accomplish this. If you do multiple containers, the first one could be filled with pot scrubbers and act as a mechanical filter. Add a bulkhead fitting to the bottom for drainage and it will be easy to clean.
The downside with this approach is the space it takes up and the task of blending it into the landscape.

I'm actually planning to use a 55 gallon drum(picture) with a screw on lid that can be pressurized and doing a top to bottom flow filter instead of an up flow with 6 matala sponges for mechanical and about 1000 bio balls in a couple mesh bags for bio filtration.

Attachments

• 1470583336488.jpg
    1470583336488.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 65
Pictures of my baby gold fish!

Attachments

• 1470583398162.jpg
    1470583398162.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1470583419430.jpg
    1470583419430.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62
The little specks are the babies, lol. The 5 big ones are parents..

Back
Top Bottom