My poor dwarf sag :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some beautiful dawrf sag from a member here a whole back and thought it was SLOWLY starting to bud off into more it was living great under my ferts and lights. It must have had enough light because it never got taller but I did notice it spreading into small sprouts slowly.

ANYWAY

I made the mistake of getting two marbled crays from an LFS who did not know they were such.
It seemed their two favorites snacks were my two favorite plants. They trounced my sag down to stumps and ate two roots in half on my bananna plant.

I knot the B plant will be fine but is there a possibility the sag will regrow since it wasnt eaten to the roots?

I removed the crays and have to figure out what to do with them (probably return) but man this infuriates me.

Aside that my electric blue ram died out of the blue (i LVOED that fish) and I came home to one of the crays eating his corpse like a corn on the cob.

I know they didnt kill him as he was looking ill the night before with clamped fins and heavy breathing.

not a good couple of nights

Ive heard those rams are quite prone to dieing out of no where. Also if the dwarf sag doesnt have any leaves it cant grow:/

Oh wow I'm so sorry that sucks :(. If you want crayfish you could always look at Mexican dwarfs, they're really small and don't go after my fish.

Oh wow I'm so sorry that sucks :(. If you want crayfish you could always look at Mexican dwarfs, they're really small and don't go after my fish.

Ive tried two orange mex dwarf crays and they both died on me in 2 week exactly out of no where.

I have started adding the mineral and calcium shells to the water so May try ONE MORE but they are pricey to gamble with. Ive tried shrimp but they all end up eaten (I assume cause they disappear)

The leaves are eaten down to the root :(
Is it fine to leave the roots under the gravel in hopes they will at least spread into more plants?

As for the EB Ram
He started gong downhill after I did my super valentines prune. It threw my 2 rams off and I think ruined their establishes spaces. He was not the same after that. He was originally first in the tank so when I added my gold it was fine. After the prune I think the gold got more aggressive with the blue trying to retake new areas. The blue retreated to this area behind the filter and heater and barely swam anymore, just watched his spot. He may have gotten stressed. Let it be a lesson, when the GF says "can you prune those plants?" say "NO!"

We are actually both pretty sad he died, he was a REALLY nice fish and I didnt have him long and before the pruning he was a bullet everywhere comfortably in the tank.

So sorry about your EB Ram. That's awful.

I don't know that I can help much but I'm wondering if it's worth leaving the roots in there for a little while and see what happens? It would probably be a very fine line between regrowing and rotting but maybe it would be worth giving it a few days? Maybe an alternative would be to remove the roots and place in a smaller container and try to regrow partially submersed? That way if it didn't work and started to rot it won't be in your tank? Also, as I understand it this plant is amphibious so maybe it would recover quicker exposed to some air? Just my thoughts. Good luck!

You would be better off just leaving the roots. They should regrow. Pulling them out of the substrate will further stress the plant and disrupt the nutrient cycle. Dwarf sag is pretty tough once established. I wanted crayfish until I learned they destroy plants. You could set up another tank just for them. Another tank is always my solution. :lol:

Another tank is a no go. Brought them back to the LFS.
I'm thinking in a couple months when its warm making a day anyway and redoing the whole tank so I'll hope they regrow by then.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom