My poor fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DolphinMan

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppy had fry last night (ya!!! I am so happy!!) but the fry are just lying on the bottom of the breeder! Is that normal??

My guppy had fry last night (ya!!! I am so happy!!) but the fry are just lying on the bottom of the breeder! Is that normal??
Yes. My fry do that all the time. They usually become more active around day 3-4. You could add some moss or some pieces of fake plants. It makes them feel more secure and not so exposed....
If possible, you should seriously consider getting a new tank for them, even a 10g.....

Thank you!! Also when do they start eating and is it also normal for the mom to die after because she died over the night.

Thank you!! Also when do they start eating and is it also normal for the mom to die after because she died over the night.
I wouldn't say it's normal for her to die but unfortunately it is common. It has happened to me a few time and I don't really know why exactly. It could be a number of things, quality of stock, poor food and stress from a breeding trap. Since I switched from using traps, I haven't lost one.
I have my females in a 12g and let her have them 'naturally' in there and then remove the fry into a 15g planted. I put the fry in a trap, inside the 15g for 2-3wks, so they can grow a bit before releasing them....
If you can't get a tank, a storage container is an option. All you need is a small heater, a sponge filter(pump needed) and some fake plants(optional). A desk light will be sufficient.
For feeding, I use Hikari First Bites. It a food designed for fry. Crushed flakes/pellets will do but try and get the Hikari(excellent). New Life Spectrum also make a fry food...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom