My Shrimps are not active. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have neocaridinas and Caridinas in a 6 gallon and me being concentrating on Caridinas water parameters because they are sensitive.

Since beginning I see my Neocaridinas and Caridinas Shrimp are not active. They just like to sit at one place and looks like statues. I never see them swim and they walk around the tank rarely. But when its feeding time they come out from hiding and eat like crazy but again get lazy and inactive. This is a short video I made. Please have a look.

https://youtu.be/BY7kP0tErRo

Water Parameters :
--------------------------------

Tds: 137
PH: 7
Gh: 5
KH: 0-1

No3: Nill
No2: Nill
Amonia: Nill
Temperature: 72-74

I use Distilled water and remineraliz it with Sl Aqua. Seachem Flourish as CO2 substitute. Also use Seachem Flourish comprehensive, Potassium and Iron as liquid fertilizers.

I also tried to avoid putting fertilizers and also flourish to see if that make any difference but no difference in shrimps behavior.

I feed them Bacter Ae, Dennerle shrimp king complete, Dennerle shrimp king Color, Shrimplab Protein. Rotate foods and I feed Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.

Is it because my tank is heavy planted? I have Monte Carlo carpet. Maybe they don't need to roam around and can graze wherever they are? Those of you guys having shrimps in carpeted tank are your shrimps very active?

This is my tank:

Attachments

• DSC_4832.jpg
    DSC_4832.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 98
I have neocaridinas and Caridinas in a 6 gallon and me being concentrating on Caridinas water parameters because they are sensitive.

Since beginning I see my Neocaridinas and Caridinas Shrimp are not active. They just like to sit at one place and looks like statues. I never see them swim and they walk around the tank rarely. But when its feeding time they come out from hiding and eat like crazy but again get lazy and inactive. This is a short video I made. Please have a look.

https://youtu.be/BY7kP0tErRo

Water Parameters :
--------------------------------

Tds: 137
PH: 7
Gh: 5
KH: 0-1

No3: Nill
No2: Nill
Amonia: Nill
Temperature: 72-74

I use Distilled water and remineraliz it with Sl Aqua. Seachem Flourish as CO2 substitute. Also use Seachem Flourish comprehensive, Potassium and Iron as liquid fertilizers.

I also tried to avoid putting fertilizers and also flourish to see if that make any difference but no difference in shrimps behavior.

I feed them Bacter Ae, Dennerle shrimp king complete, Dennerle shrimp king Color, Shrimplab Protein. Rotate foods and I feed Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.

Is it because my tank is heavy planted? I have Monte Carlo carpet. Maybe they don't need to roam around and can graze wherever they are? Those of you guys having shrimps in carpeted tank are your shrimps very active?

This is my tank:

Are they eating? Usually shrimp that are in distress are dead shrimp... Those "look" healthy to me.

Are they eating? Usually shrimp that are in distress are dead shrimp... Those "look" healthy to me.
They eating fine. All foods I offer them they eat like crazy and yes they are healthy just not active as you can see from video I posted.

Whenever I see shrimps of other people on YouTube they are always moving around and swimming.

I didn't see any males in that tank. Usually the males are the ones that swim all around with the presence of females in the tank.

I didn't see any males in that tank. Usually the males are the ones that swim all around with the presence of females in the tank.
Thanks well how can be so sure they are all females? Usually its hard to distinguish?

Females will be larger, more colourful and have the larger, for “female” appearance physically. Males are smaller, less colourful, have a different physical structure and swim around much more frequently IMG_0899.JPG

Females will be larger, more colourful and have the larger, for “female” appearance physically. Males are smaller, less colourful, have a different physical structure and swim around much more frequently View attachment 307126
Thanks a lot. I do have some lean shrimps and I had at one time like 30 Caridinas before many died but they were like this always. I suspect maybe its because I have carpeted tank. Really it looks like a mystery. Its like they are in some deep thinking lol. I see them not grazing even and just sit and think.

Back
Top Bottom