My simple planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my first simple planted tank and would like to share it to everyone. I did it last night and I will update(pics) every other week. I am going to add maybe a couple more plants today. 4-65w bulbs. No CO2. Just flourish root tabs, flourish excel and flourish supplements for planted aquarium. I hope all the plants will grow healthy. I can't wait to see how they will look like in a month or so. Special thanks to fort384 and cjldad. You guys are such a BIG HELP! Thank you! =)

Yeah baby! That looks great! I REALLY wanted a 5' long tank when I got mine.. But too good of a deal on the 75 to pass. I think you will have a good experience with it all! Did you put some type of sand or smaller gravel to hold the tabs and roots of the plants?

Or is that a 4' extra deep?

cjldad said:
Yeah baby! That looks great! I REALLY wanted a 5' long tank when I got mine.. But too good of a deal on the 75 to pass. I think you will have a good experience with it all! Did you put some type of sand or smaller gravel to hold the tabs and roots of the plants?

Thank you! I'm not done though. I'm going to add a couple ludwigias and an anubias.

No, didn't put any type of sand or smaller gravel. I didn't want to disturb the "good" bacteria. I know that I should have done that before starting the cycling process. I put a tab underneath each plant except for the java fern on the driftwood. Plus flourish excel and flourish supplements. I bet I will have a great experience with my tank =D I'm already thinking of getting a smaller planted tank(55g) for smaller fish.

cjldad said:

Or is that a 4' extra deep?

My tank's dimension: 60"L x 18"D x 26"H

That is the outside dimension.

roydooms said:
My tank's dimension: 60"L x 18"D x 26"H

That is the outside dimension.

Yeah, I officially don't like you anymore.. :)

Please make certain the root tabs are covered well.. You don't really want them dissolving in to the water column..

cjldad said:
Yeah, I officially don't like you anymore.. :)

Please make certain the root tabs are covered well.. You don't really want them dissolving in to the water column..

Hehehe :)

All the root tabs are covered really well. Java ferns will rot if planted in a substrate and anubias' rhizomes should be a little bit exposed because they like the good water flow between the roots. Am I right?

roydooms said:
Hehehe :)

All the root tabs are covered really well. Java ferns will rot if planted in a substrate and anubias' rhizomes should be a little bit exposed because they like the good water flow between the roots. Am I right?

Yes, that sounds correct!

Wow! What a great tank! It is going to be amazing as you add a few more plants and start to grow it out. You are off to a very good start.

fort384 said:
Wow! What a great tank! It is going to be amazing as you add a few more plants and start to grow it out. You are off to a very good start.

Thank you Fort. I'm so excited to see how it will look like a month or 2 from now :) thanks to you and cjldad. My plants for sure will bloom if I will follow all the advices that you gave me. Thank you :)

Added a couple more plants. Sword(behind the small pot), java fern on the pot(hope it works) and the anubias (front right corner).

Scarlet knight said:
Amazing looking tank! Great job!
What type of substrate are you using?
What type of lighting/ bulbs?

Thank you. This is my first tank. I didn't know that there is a special substrate for planted tank. So I just have the regular. My fixture has 6-65w cp bulbs but I only use 4. 2 in the morning then 4 bulbs after lunch then back to 2 bulbs late in the afternoon. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom